It's been 72 hrs... please HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judsonmillar

Reaction score
So I have a situation here in central PA:
- 72 hours ago I did a 3, 5 gallon batches of extract and I felt like I was on my game
o Quality complete sanitation with Star Sans
o 25 min each with grains
o 60 min boil at about 2.5 gallon brew kettles
o Racked to plastic buckets and on site spring water added which brought temp down some
o Cooled wort to under 80 degrees each with coiled Wort Cooler (only issue was took about 15 min per batch so 3rd batch had sat for 30 min waiting, next time will stagger boils)
o Yeast starters brought up to room temp-ish then poured off yeast wort
o Aerated wort by swirling multi-direction with large wooden spoon
o Added yeast starter, put on lid + airlock (I did NOT take a gravity reading as devise was in another building and it was 1am – Big Mistake)
o Moved buckets to basement which is between 64 and 68 degrees and dark
• It’s been 72 hrs – no fermentation action. Not 1 documented bubble in airlock and No Kraeusen on top. Trying not to panic.
• Yeast quality is a question
o all were 3 months expired ( purchased from NW Brewing)
o all 3 White Labs liquid yeast made with starter
o starter was less than stellar (no kraeusen) but in the end produces yeast on the bottom (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO)
• Lids on buckets are good as when you lean on them bubbles come up through airstop

Questions:
1. I used a lot of Star Sans – could I have killed yeast with Star Sans (I think not)?
2. Brew process seems good – any red flags?
3. Should I Re-Pitch more yeast??
a. I happen to have 3 Liquid Yeasts in the fridge for next brew project.
b. Given that’s it’s been 72 hrs+ Should I make 3 more Yeast Starters?
Thanks in advance for your Help… I’m in a Pickle and I desperately Do Not want to lose 15 gallons of yummy brew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_5490.JPG

Take a gravity reading. These are extract batches, you know the OG within a couple points even if you didn't measure it.

BTW - pushing on the bucket lid will cause bubbles even in a very poorly sealed fermenter.

Don's use bubbles as sign of fermentation, a poor seal will keep that from happening. Have you cracked open a lid to see if there is any action?

I had this happen with a batch and came to realize that I probably severely underpitched due to a starter that was too small for my aged/non-viable yeast. In the end krausen showed up on the morning after the third day, and it fermented down to about where I wanted it, slowly. The delay had to be a longer reproduction phase as the yeast numbers needed to grow to take on the wort.

In the end, the beer was mediocre due to some off flavors I have only had with that one batch, so I don't think its a coincidence. Since then I have been a lot more conservative with my starting cell count when using yeast calculators and haven't had that issue again.

Take a reading, if it isn't dropping and you think nothing's happening, hit it with some dry yeast.

Take a gravity reading. These are extract batches, you know the OG within a couple points even if you didn't measure it.

BTW - pushing on the bucket lid will cause bubbles even in a very poorly sealed fermenter.

This.

Happened to me once with a gasket that was not seated perfectly in the lid. Turned out fine. The chances that is it with all 3 of yours....:confused:

Also, I am pretty sure you don't want to be using a wooden spoon post boil at all. Wood is basically impossible to sanitize. Don't know if it has anything to do with your problem but still not a good idea.

Good luck

Thank You for your words 'O wisdom, super helpful.

I've taken lids off and there is no kraeusen at all.

I took gravity readings and they were:
Brown Ale - 1.47
Pale Ale - 1.44
IPA - 1.64

I'll take another gravity reading in a few days to see if there has been any change (drop in gravity), Right?

Question: If there is no drop after 4 more days we can assume no fermentation going on.
- should I re-pitch with dry yeast OR wait until I have brewed 3 more batches (next week) and racked those batches into a Secondary then use yeast cake from those?

- Temp of wort at re-pitching should be between 70 and 75?

Totally makes sense about NOT using wooden spoon - my bad.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Back