It's alive! Muahahahahaaaa (my first brew is bubbling)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsay

Reaction score
It is now less than two hours since I got done brewing my first brew, and the yeast are already working hard. Star San in the airlock rocks since it keeps bubbles for a bit, showing that some have been made. It is bubbling fairly often too!

I'm excited. Can't wait to move it to the secondary (when it is ready, of course) and start on my Oktoberfest kit I got on sale at my LHBS (guess it's getting too late to make Oktoberfest, but I don't care.)

AHS Cherry Stout is my brew of choice for my first batch. Was pretty easy to make.

It is now less than two hours since I got done brewing my first brew, and the yeast are already working hard. Star San in the airlock rocks since it keeps bubbles for a bit, showing that some have been made. It is bubbling fairly often too!

I'm excited. Can't wait to move it to the secondary (when it is ready, of course) and start on my Oktoberfest kit I got on sale at my LHBS (guess it's getting too late to make Oktoberfest, but I don't care.)

AHS Cherry Stout is my brew of choice for my first batch. Was pretty easy to make.

Congrats on the first brew!!!!! I went today to get a Oktoberfest kit and the LHBS was out :mad:. Keep us up to date.

Just let it finish through before you rack it to secondary, or do what a lot of us do and skip secondary and leave it for 3-4 weeks in primary then bottle.

And remember, airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation, the hydrometer is...so wait 7-10 days and take a reading.

:mug:

I was lucky enough to have a homebrew while brewing today, it was a Belgian horehound Tripel (22oz). Yea, I was definitely not worrying when I was brewing!

I'm happy to see the bubbles, I'll break out the hydrometer next Thursday to see if it's time to rack to secondary (don't want to check too soon, that bucket lid is a pain to get off!). I am going to use a secondary for two reasons:
1. I already bought the better bottle, might as well use it.
2. I need to free up my primary for my next brew.

Congrats on you 1st.

I like to let my beers condition in secondary. It helps to clear them and take off the rough edges. I find most ales ferment out in 7 to 14 days, then I rack to secondary and let condition for at least 3 weeks before I bottle. I also let my beers bottle condition for at least 3 weeks before I try one, but four to five weeks before I really start drinking them. They seem inconsistently carbed until after about 4 weeks, and the flavor of most of them seems best from 6 to 14 weeks after bottling. Those are averages; more potent brews take longer to condition for best flavor and stay drinkable for much longer too.

Back