it's a sad day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got a text message from my brother in law. He has been brewing for about 3 months now. The text was a picture of his fermenter withe the lid blown off. I then texted him back saying to clean the lid and air lock. Sanitize it and put it back on.

His reply was that he figured something was wrong with it so he dumped it.
It would have been a nice IIPA.

So lift a glass with me in the honor of the fallen.

After finding out he dumped 5 gallons of perfectly good beer is punishment enough. He will never do that again.

It's amazing how many people start brewing without having knowledge of the whole process. Before I brewed my first batch, I had read 4 books and had a very good understanding of the process, not to mention knowing why I was doing what I was doing. I think a little research would make things go more smoothly, or at least they would know why things go wrong when they do.

Nah, doing it without having a clue is half the fun! Though much less risky when only doing 1 gallon batches!

I began with relatively little knowledge. I started after reading through Papizan's book and still add only one can of extract for my 5 gallon batch. My second batch of hefeweizen blew about a gallon of beer onto the floor in my den. Luckily I have tile.

Until you actually do a batch or two I feel there is only so much you can get from reading. Or at least you will have to invest twice(or more) the amount of time to get it figured out. When you jump in, you get a lot of the learning done very quickly!!

Latest posts

Back