Italy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewers!

I will be going around Italy pretty soon. I know they are not really a beer region, but maybe the community here knows so good local beer in Italy. Let me hear it guys!

-Dogman

It's been a few years since I've been there (2010), but all I could find at the time was Peroni and Moretti, and the odd German import. I've heard it's gotten better since then. Good luck.

Peroni Nastra Asura (Blue Ribbon). I perfer Moretti. Harder to find on Tap but you can. And there is a German Beer Garden near the Spanish Steps. Spaten!

Of course, Italian Wines?

I had a couple of beers from these guys that were both solid. Not sure how well they distribute in Italy, but I got them in St. Louis, MO. I'd guess they would be available in country.

http://www.birraanima.com/birre

I had the Leonardo and the Dante.

Enjoy the trip.

Awesome guys! I am taking notes! I love some good wine with my wife, but I am a beer man at heart. Although we will be eating my favorite type of foods; olive oil, bread, cured meats, and sea food. I will keep an eye out for any local brew pubs too, you know the types that are to small to distribute.

I travelled from the Amalfi coast to Rome to Tuscani to Venice over the course of three weeks two years ago, and good beer was definitely not something found easily if at all. But, there are bell-ringing wonderful wines all over Italy, and out in the country often ridiculously inexpensive for the quality.

I recommend getting your grapes on ;)

Cheers!

I travelled from the Amalfi coast to Rome to Tuscani to Venice over the course of three weeks two years ago, and good beer was definitely not something found easily if at all. But, there are bell-ringing wonderful wines all over Italy, and out in the country often ridiculously inexpensive for the quality.

I recommend getting your grapes on ;)

Cheers!

I agree completely. I was in the North central city of Modena many years ago on business for a few weeks. At the time it was an industrial city (think Ferrari, Lamborghini, balsamic vinegar, etc) and not really on the tourist route.

The food in the company cafeteria was better than virtually any Italian restaurant in the states. And every sit-down restaurant would drop a bottle of their house wine on the table upon greeting their guests the same way a restaurant here would bring a glass of water. The wine was always wonderful and simply part of the meal.

If you find good beer in Italy that's fine but but don't overlook the country's indigenous food and beverage.

There's been a massive boom in craft beer there over the last few years, but it's somewhat expensive as it doesn't attract the same sort of state support through lack of taxes that wine does. Some good bars in Rome now, it's been a few years since I last went but Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fà and their sister bar Bir&Fud were excellent . Check out the ratebeer ratings maybe for places where you are going

enjoy

and yeah, drink lots of wine !

Tipo Pils is a great pils, see if you can find that. Based on Jever but with a dry hop iirc

I was in Aviano for three yrs. Great wine and food. Moretti and Peroni were the national brands. Not many locals as I recall....but Austria was close and they serve beer everywhere -- even McDonald's.

I've been to Milan in 2013 and Rome 2 months ago. Peroni is king. It was pretty difficult finding craft beer in Milan. I don't think we were really successful. Rome has experienced a boom in the craft beer scene. It'll likely be easier to find a craft brewery than a commercial option. There are plenty of places to checkout. Just hit up tripadvisor or a quick google search and it should yield some solid options.

You might want to look at the Europe forum on Beer Advocate. We're going to Italy in October and it sounds like the craft beer scene there is lot better than it used to be.

in the last years craft beer scene is exploded!

you can find a lot of pub with different craft beer, is expensive but some worth a try!
for example there are a lot of great micro brewery as "toccalmatto" "birrificio lambrate" "retorto" "extraomnes" and a lot of others!

in normal bar you can find only poretti ecc... industrial beer.

as you know ours is a wine region so if you like wines... :)

if you like spirits you must try some "grappa"!

if you tell me in which zone you are going maybe i can tell you some pub to visit!

Grappa...good stuff! OP, if you're feeling really jazzy, you should pickup a bottle of Fernet Branca while you're there.

Peroni Nastra Asura (Blue Ribbon). I perfer Moretti. Harder to find on Tap but you can. And there is a German Beer Garden near the Spanish Steps. Spaten!

Of course, Italian Wines?

Spaten is terrible, I'd rather drink Peroni or Moretti then.

Just drink wine. anything they put out on the table in those non-tourist ventures is better, than any wine I ever had in the US.

You might want to look at the Europe forum on Beer Advocate. We're going to Italy in October and it sounds like the craft beer scene there is lot better than it used to be.

Let me know how you do! I'm not going to any large cities except for Florence, so I'm sure throughout Tuscany I'll be drinking wine but I'd love to hear about the beer scene as well!

I spent 2 weeks in Italy in 2014 and I only had 2 beers there, and if you can't guess, they were... surprise, surprise! Peroni and Moretti. In fact, I never saw any beers other than Peroni and Moretti anywhere in the country except for some imports from Germany and Austria.

Not a problem, though. The wine in Italy is excellent (and that fact is quite famous, but they really are very nice), so we had wine at most lunch and dinner meals. Huge variety and very high quality for a pretty decent price. We even went on a winery tour in Tuscany, which was very nice.

Other than wine, there are a lot of other nice alcoholic drinks in Italy. Spirits such as brandy and grappa and liqueurs such as limoncello and sambuca. Beer, however, is not easily found. Personally I enjoyed two weeks of excellent wine and didn't mind taking a break from beer.

Italian beer scene is changed a lot in the last years, now you can found easly a lot of good craft beer (and also a lot of ****ty craft beer made by people who wants to exploit the trand, this is why is better to give a look on the web to undersand which beer is a good quality craft beer); example of great brewery are: Extraomnes, Toccailmatto; Il Ducato, Lambrate (two brewpub in Milan),Mukkeler but there are many others
sure if you come to Italy,wine and spirits are a Must, beer comes later :)

Indeed Italy is now a beer country! You just have to read the book "Italy a beer country" to understand that a little. Italy has one of the biggest number of breweries/beer diversity in Europe and you should definitely check the place out! Of course nothing beats USA not even Belgium or Germany or denmark or Norway! Cheers. Use ratebeer and Google to find best beer places where you will be traveling!

It isn't, and hopefully never will be...

Cheers!

If Italy is not a beer country, USA isn't either! I'm not talking about the history of brewing in that country, but the speed at which craft beer develops there : much faster than in Germany and Belgium for example! In my opinion they have more better brewers than in Denmark, where most do not even brew themselves (mikkeller, to ol and hornbeer). Founder of left hand brewery in USA agrees too with Italy being a beer country!

View attachment 1473565356453.jpg

Back