It would be a great Hef.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBngNOK

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cloudy and redolent with cloves,,,,, but it's supposed to be a sierra pale ale :eek:. I didn't make a starter, and I didn't have as vigorous of a boil as I should have had. But I'm going to drink it anyway! ;)

Well that's good. I probably wouldn't want to drink it. I hate when a beer didn't turn out at least somewhat close to how I expect it to.

Congratulations on your invention of a HPA.......Hefe-Pale ale:D.
Seriously though cloves? What yeast did you use?

WLP 001. Really, the beer isn't bad for what it is, but like beersk noted, it's a little disappointing for what it isn't :eek:

With 001, cloves + cloudy sounds to me like an infection. Band-aid & clove are nit too distant cousins in the phenol world IMO. Keep it cold & drink it fast--and if you bottle, you may want to put a plastic bag over the batch in case of bottle bombs.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks Piratwolf, I'd never had an infection before, so hadn't considered that possibility. Complacency may have lead to carelessness somewhere during the process.

Did you give it enough time to clear and clean up off flavors? Bottling to early could lead to both cloudiness and off flavors.

001 with cloves... too high ferment temp combined with unhealthy/under pitch. Just my guess

Did you give it enough time to clear and clean up off flavors? Bottling to early could lead to both cloudiness and off flavors.

Four weeks in primary before bottling.

001 with cloves... too high ferment temp combined with unhealthy/under pitch. Just my guess

That's my assumption. I was impatient and lazy; and hoped the yeast was fresh enough, and the OG low enough that I wouldn't need a starter :eek:. Not ruling out possible infection, though.

Clove seems to be aging out, clearing not so much so.

Back