It won't stop!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
Hi all.
I've got a question. I'm making a Ale version of Oktoberfest from my LHBS. It uses Wyeast German ale 1007 yeast. I used a blow off tube and had a huge krausen the first few days. I transferred to a secondary after one week(BYO mag suggested to transferre at 80% fermentation so it would still depleate the oxygen in the head space). It was burping every 45-50 secs. It has now been three weeks and it formed a new krausen, half inch thick, and has been burpping evey 30 sec steady for the last ten days with no signs of stopping. Its at 62* Can anyone tell me whats going on? Is this just a tradmark of this yeast or am I in trouble?

I wouldn't worry about it. 62 degrees is a bit low for an ale yeast, so it is just taking it's time fermenting. the fact that you have airlock activity means you don't have to worry about a stuck fermentation. I'd leave it in there for another week at least before bottling.

It will stop when it's done. 62F is in the middle of the range for this yeast, but it makes for a slow ferment.

Latest posts

Back