It started out as a great brew evening...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k1200rsvt

Reaction score
Well the evening started out as a great evening of brewing.

My brewing partner arrived right after work with ingredients and pizza. I had the water for the partial mash going on the stove. We tapped a fresh keg of Imperial Pilsner that had been aging since February. We did the partial mash, ate dinner and cut and assembled the new manifold for the MLT so that our next batch can be AG. Boil finished, cooled, nailed the OG, pitched the yeast and took the carboy down to the room we ferment in. The kitchen was almost all cleaned up and we could call it a night.

On the way back up stairs I heard the hiss of gas from the keezer and wondered why. I opened the keezer and quickly turned off the regulators...Then I saw it...about 6 inches of beer covered the floor of the keezer. I quickly assessed the situation and saw foam all over my keg of Rye IPA. NOOOOOOO!!! That was the best beer we have ever brewed and it was more than half full. Pouting and almost crying I headed up stairs to begin the clean up at 11:00 PM. This bites! We begin pulling kegs out one by one cleaning them and setting them aside. Then my friend lifted the brand new keg we tapped tonight and it is way too easy of a lift...All of a sudden we realize it wasn't the Rye IPA that dumped, it was 5 gallons of Imperial Pilsner...YES!!! I was so happy!! Not that losing a whole batch is a happy thing, but at least it wasn't my Rye IPA. All of a sudden things weren't quite so bad. We proceeded to grab a ten foot section of hose and have a few long slurps of beer through our "straw." Then we finished cleaning up. It was sad but at least it wasn't our best beer.

Lesson learned...Always check everything twice when messing with the gas and kegs. It could be worse...:mug:

So, what caused the problem?

I had a faulty beer out fitting last month and filled the bottom drawers of my fridge with 5 gallons of American Red.

I'm not really sure what cause it. I was tired last night and clean up seemed overwhelming so I didn't really look at the keg that closely. I wonder if when I put the beer out line on if I didn't get it sealed down all the way. I also had the fitting apart before filling the keg so maybe something was quite right when I put it back together although that seems unlikely because it has been filled with beer for a few months no with no problems. I will look at it closer when I have a chance. I will also to a water test on it before it get filled with beer again. :mug:

We proceeded to grab a ten foot section of hose and have a few long slurps of beer through our "straw."

I'm not really sure what cause it. I was tired last night

Its funny how you can get "tired" after using a giant straw to slurp up some Imperial Pilsner!

Good story and good luck with the brew from last night!

Comparative celebration would be a better assessment...It still hurt to be cleaning up that much lost beer. Like I said the Rye IPA is my favorite beer I have brewed and the Imperial Pilsner while quite tasty (I am glad we drank it with dinner) was just an okay beer in my opinion. Next winter we will do another batch of Imperial Pilsner to replace it...with some modifications to make it better. :mug:

Latest posts

Back