It smells like hot dogs...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
So the SWMBO and I were out last night and I tried Great Lakes Brewing Company's Grassroots Ale. This is the first saison I have ever had and I must say I am quite impressed with this style.

Anyways....

I always give SWMBO so of my beers to taste, hoping one day she develops a taste for a lot of different styles. Anyways she grabbed the glass smelled it, and said "It smells like hot dogs" I was like, WTF? It doesnt smell like hot dogs at all! It smells like really good beer!

She is close to not getting any more homebrew....then again if I cut her off, she may not let me brew anymore...
:mug:

i had a brew that smelled and tasted like hot dogs. oh, i mean i still HAVE a brew...cant get past it to drink it. i call it a weiner witbier!

HOT DOGS?????????

Either your beer is off, or your hot dogs are!!

I don't ever want to smell hot dog beer!!

I must be the only person on the planet that hated this beer. I think I threw up in my mouth after tasting it. Please someone tell me you think this beer could gag a maggot so I don't think I'm just mental.

By chance I am drinking this now. Here is my <60 character review.

Great Lakes Grassroots Saison. Grassy lemony minty earthy. Not crisp. B-

I had it on tap at a local bar and thought it was awful, but then tried a sample at Great Lakes Brewery and it tasted much better and totally different. I'm not sure if something was off the first time, but that is why I always will give a beer I don't like a few chances before I really judge it.

I must be the only person on the planet that hated this beer. I think I threw up in my mouth after tasting it. Please someone tell me you think this beer could gag a maggot so I don't think I'm just mental.

I really don't think it is that bad and have had much worse beers. If you think it could gag a maggot than there must be a ton a beers you probably don't like. I don't like every beer I try but NONE have ever made me wanna throw up in my mouth and I have never "HATED" any beer I have tried. Now if you were strictly a BMC drinker and tried it, I could see how you could hate it...

As long as we're posting our Twittered reviews of the beer, here was mine:
Woah. Great Lakes Brewing Co.: Go easy on the coriander. Your Grassroots Saison tastes like saucisson.

I, too, thought Great Lakes Saison tasted sausage-ey. It's heavy on coriander, which is not an uncommon ingredient in sausage. The connection hadn't occurred to me until I was toasting spices for my witbier when SWMBO came into the kitchen and complained about the sausage aromas I was producing.

Back