It is time!...To AG that is!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbrout

Reaction score
So it is time for my first AG. How exciting. Over on the recipe forum i have been trying to convert this:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: White Labs Irish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 19.0
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Color: 46.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 70
Tasting Notes: Malty with a great vanilla after taste.

6 lb. Dark Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. Dark Dry Malt Extract
.75 lb. Black Patent Malt
.25 lb. Roasted Barley
1 oz Cluster (7.00%) at 60 minutes
1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.00) at 20 minutes
1 tsp Irish moss at 15 minutes
2.5 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract (add to secondary)
1 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast

Steeped grains at 150F for 35 minutes in oven

Boil for 70 minutes

After 14 days move to secondary and rack on top of 2.5 tbsp of vanilla.
(I know I should have soaked beans in bourbon, but thought i would try this, so far so good)

Primed with 3/4 cup of Corn Sugar.

I have beertools but i cant seem to get the numbers right. I really would like to order the ingredients tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest so they will be here by this weekend. (I havent brewed in weeks and im having withdraws, lol) If anyone could help me convert this to AG i will be very grateful. I have been using English Pale 2 row for the base malt but perhaps im not even accurate in that assumption.
Anywho, thanks for the time :mug:

Edit: to specify, it's not so much adding the base malts to the recipe (if i knew what they were) but i'm not sure what to do about the steeping grains and making the numbers match up with everything else (color, IBUs, etc)

I'm no veteran but I would go to beercalculus.com and punch in whatever type of malt you want to use to get your desired color and gravity. That way you can take advantage of one of the best parts of all grain: choosing EXACTLY what you want to put into it and what you want to get out of it.

To get the 45 SRM I would go with about 7 lb of US 2row and up the black patent to about 1.25 lbs and the roasted barley up to .75 lbs.

Seriously though, I am NO expert. Thats just what I would do.

This would be a nice classic Dry Stout recipe. According to BeerSmith the IBUs for the hops at those times is more. I wouldn't think it would matter between extract and AG, but I could be wrong. Here is what I came up with. I'm no expert, but I've been looking at and formulating Stout recipes and brewing them lately.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
2.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 23.81 %
0.75 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (400.0 SRM) Grain 2.38 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.0 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Now the color depends on the SRM of the Black and Roasted grain. Regardless it's still going to be very dark. Hope that helped some.

Alrighty, I've been messing with this for a bit now and this is what I have in Beersmith.

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/24/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: JonBRout
Boil Size: 6.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: ~2.5 Tablespoons Vanilla extract added to Secondary.

Ingredients

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 71.43 %
2.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 17.86 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.4 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.072 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.96 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 29.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 39.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
Sparge Water: 3.55 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 4.38 gal of water at 170.5 F

The numbers are roughly close, but I'm still very uncertain as to how scaling the ingredients will affect the final product. For instance using ~10lbs base grain instead of ~7 (scaling all the other grains as well). Likewise, with me upping the amount of grains the IBUs can go up as well but still achieve the same balance? The OG for this is several points higher than the extract version I'm trying to replicate. I new to AG and Beersmith so any help would be appreciated. I'm posting this because I'm not entirely sure what to do now... :confused:

If the gravity is high, adjust the base malt down until you reach the desired OG. In this case, I'd move your efficiency to 60-65% for your first AG and calculate your recipe from there. Not saying you will end up that low, but many of us experience lower efficiency on our first AG.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do that. I guess what I'm trying to say is if I up the grains for higher OG while keeping the IBU's scaled the same will I end up with just a higher ABV brew? What will the effects of scaling everything up have on the beer?

if you scale everything up, you will end up with a _bigger_ beer; more malty, more hoppy, and more alcohol. unless you change your mashing you'll get a higher OG and a higher FG as well (more unfermentable sugars)

generally, you want to scale everything to keep things balanced (maltiness/bitterness, etc), but there are limits - once a beer gets TOO big it can get too heavy and be less drinkable.

I think i've finally got it pretty damn close! Here's what i have. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Type: All Grain
Date: 3/24/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: JonBRout
Boil Size: 6.34 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00
Taste Notes: ~2.5 Tablespoons Vanilla extract added to Secondary.
Sparge at 180ish?

Ingredients

8.88 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 66.84 %
2.88 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 21.67 %
0.92 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6.89 %
0.61 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
0.52 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
0.70 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 19.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 43.1 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13.29 lb
Sparge Water: 4.07 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

I am using beersmith and I see a scale up option but that is only for batch size. Is there an option for scaling ingredients to make a "bigger beer" (everyone wants more deliciousness per pint =]) Thanks again.

The recipe looks pretty good to me. I do nto know of that option in BeerSmith, but something to help you scale is try to keep the percentages of grain the same for a larger grain bill, and keep the IBU/SG % the same as you scale it up.

Ed

beersmith will let you scale the gravity/color/IBUs independently of each other (the 'bitterness', 'color', and 'gravity' buttons up near the 'scale' button when you're looking at a recipe)

you can fudge a 'complete' scaling up by adjusting the batch size down (while keeping the ingredients the same) until the OG/FG/IBUs were where you wanted them, and then use the scale function to scale that back up to the batch size you want

Latest posts

Back