it is beer . it's drinkable as well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumeise

Reaction score
My totally screwed up first batch ever is indeed looking like beer and tasting like beer and well... drinkable.
I officially consider myself now "Brewer" :)

More to come...

Prost!

4jf424sj.jpg

I agree! Mason jars are my glass unless I feel like filling up a liter in my stein.

haha! :) Thanks everyone...

well, this was the batch I messed up completely (I did not even name it other than "test run") and I redid it four days later. Second batch did not turn out right either, my conversion really sucked...

so I have messed up batch 1 with ~ 1.5% alcohol BUT I have to say it is tasty!
The orange peel and coriander really shows in a good way...

Bottles from batch 2 are still carbonating, haven't put any in the fridge yet and batches 3 and 4 are currently fermenting.

Having very high Hopes for Batch 4 - hit everything to the spot so it should turn out a very tasty wit beer.

If so, I will alter the hops from Saarz to Hallertauer Mittelfrüh and I will experiment with Mandarina Hops for one batch.

For my taste the orange peel could be less prominent so I might cut down on that. Or boil it less. I'll figure it out.

Does that mean a pint glass is "improper"? Some might say that a glass with a stem is for wine only...

Me? As long as it's glass, I am happy. Mason jar? Perfect! Just no plastic cups.

well, german snob here :)

wit beers go in a goblet.

When in Germany, they go in these sort of Goblets ->
43u9juzz.jpg

If you do not have a glass, they can not go in plastik cups ever... you drink from the bottle but you let every one know that this should no be done... unless you drink something that is rightfully not even allowed to be called "beer" like Coors or stuff like that.

Does that mean a pint glass is "improper"? Some might say that a glass with a stem is for wine only...

Me? As long as it's glass, I am happy. Mason jar? Perfect! Just no plastic cups.

There is no improper way to drink craft beer (just as there is no proper way to drink mass produced flavorless swill). But homebrewers put so much effort into selecting ingredients (hops especially) and drinking fresh beer (a huge benefit of homebrewing)- drinking out of a glass that concentrates the volatile aromas by being wider at the bottom / narrower at the top, maximizes the aroma / flavor, and can enhance enjoyment.

I drink only from tulips at home, and maybe it's all mental / mythological, but smelling the hop oils on the head of a freshly poured homebrew is one of the finest pleasures in life. I swear they seem more intense in a tulip than they are in the traditional pint glass.

If we're going to all of the trouble to homebrew, why not spend $5 on a glass designed for beer?

http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/glasses-make-beer-taste-better

I am a wine, beer, cheese and champagne snob.
And I sign everything you said including it might be "mental" but even if it is, it enhances the "sensation" :)

I did a wit beer (will be doing wit beer until it is the best wit I ever had) :)

All Grain - Batch 1 was considered my test run

Recipe is called "Todd Enders' Witbier" and I found it online

I supplemented the red unmalted winter wheat for wheat malt though.

for the forth batch that is fermenting right now, I used organic unmalted white winter wheat.

Since the forth batch is probably the first one close to a "real wit beer" I will take it from there and consider everything I did before as "getting used to the process/equipment"

well, german snob here :)

wit beers go in a goblet.

When in Germany, they go in these sort of Goblets ->
43u9juzz.jpg

If you do not have a glass, they can not go in plastik cups ever... you drink from the bottle but you let every one know that this should no be done... unless you drink something that is rightfully not even allowed to be called "beer" like Coors or stuff like that.

I agree whole heartedly, I collect glasses from the breweries I go to and I always make it a point to get their fancy goblet/tulip glasses as those are the only glasses I drink from at home unless it's a nice fruity ale or a lighter iPa in which case a normal pint glass will do. Also coors/miller/bud etc. Aren't aloud In my house. =p

If we're going to all of the trouble to homebrew, why not spend $5 on a glass designed for beer?

I had no idea a regular pint glass wasn't designed for beer... funny, as they seem to smell sensational when they are supposed to, and taste like they are supposed to.

IMHO, "it's all in your head". But, if that works for you, so be it. Just please, PLEASE don't try to tell me I am drinking beer out of an "improper" glass.

All pardons, Braumeise. I did not mean to take your thread off track.

Congrats on the beer, and hopefully your 2nd batch on will meet your expectations!

:mug:

All pardons, Braumeise. I did not mean to take your thread off track.

Congrats on the beer, and hopefully your 2nd batch on will meet your expectations!

:mug:

haha! no worries!

Lager and Lime - when in London - is totally meant to be drunken from a pint glass :)

I agree whole heartedly, I collect glasses from the breweries I go to and I always make it a point to get their fancy goblet/tulip glasses as those are the only glasses I drink from at home unless it's a nice fruity ale or a lighter iPa in which case a normal pint glass will do. Also coors/miller/bud etc. Aren't aloud In my house. =p

Coors and stuff like that is something I bring to people who really do not care about beer and have their fridge full of tasteless, hopenriched, tab water (aka Coors/Miller/Bud)

It never enters my house though and no one is allowed to bring it to a party/bbq... they would be exiled instantly!

Back