Issues with first lager fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimpdx

Renaissance Man
Reaction score
After buying a chest freezer and controller I decided to brew 10 gallons of Schwarzbier. Brewday went well and I pitched at 50 degrees per Jamil's book. I had to go out of town for 10 days and when I returned it had dropped to 44. At this point I had gotten 59% attenuation using Wyeast Bohemian Lager (1.051 to 1.022). I warmed it back up and brought it slowly to 60 hoping to get more attentuation. I needed to drop my freezer back to 38 to prepare some other brews for my upcoming July 4th party so I brought the carboys up to room temp (66) and saw more airlock activity finally! I figured this might help get me closer to FG and get the diacetyl rest out of the way. Unfortunately it stalled out again at 1.020. My two choices are to keep the carboys at 66 and try rousing the yeast or adding energizer, or rack them to cornys and let them lager at the higher SG. It has already been four days at room temp and I want to avoid any esters which might get produced at the higher temp. Any advice? :)

Rousting the yeast for a stalled ferment is never a bad thing to try - I'd give that a shot. Or if it tastes good as it is, drink it :)

I understand esters to be produced early in the fermentation, so you should be fine keeping it at a higher temp.

Did you pitch using a calculator / aerate the heck out of it? If not, it might be done. Rousing never hurts if you're careful not to oxidize.

Thanks guys. I rouses and used Mr. Malty and pitched a large starter (crashed and decanted first). Even after gentle rousing and 4 days at 66 there was no additional activity. I racked to cornys and took them down to 40 for conditioning. Hoping it isn't too sweet!

Back