Issues with fermentation sticking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davrosh

Reaction score
I am on my second brew - a two tin "colliery stout" no boil kit from abbey home brew in Leeds. I didn't deviate from the kit instructions and the brew seemed to go pretty well. Problem is that it seems to be fermenting very slowly. I brewed a week ago, the OG was only 1.045 (is this low for a stout), but now exactly a week later i have taken a gravity reading of 1.024. I took one Two days ago which was 1.026, so it is moving slightly, but im not sure if this is normal. I honestly can't think of anything I have done wrong - airatex the wort for a long time after pitching, the temp was about 24c when I pitched, and I even added slightly less water to try and up the abv slightly (22l as opposed to the stated 22.5l.

What really concerns me is that my first batch (Brupaks Fixby Gold) ended up getting stuck at 1.020. The man from the shop kindly gave me a sachet of champaign yeast and told me to stir in, which I did, and said it probably finish at about 1.016, which it did. It took over 3 weeks toferment out to an acceptable level. Now it seems I am having the same problem again.

Also, my fermenting bucket is under the kitchen table, at a steady 20-24c, so temperature shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want 80 pints of weak beer to plough through.

I'd have to say that 1.045 is def low for a stout. Maybe you didn't get the top off water mixed well with the wort? And if you used dry yeast,at least re-hydrate it in 1-1/5C of luke warm water with maybe 1tsp of dextrose in it. That works way better for me. And wet yeasts should always get a starter. 20C isn't bad,18-19C is better,ime.
It's also possible that there are a lot of unfermentables in the wort to give it more body & color. You could try swirling the the fermenter gently to get the lil yeasties back in suspension. That can work.

I spent a few memorable years in Leeds. Great city.

1.045 is normal for a dry stout. Think Guinness, it's about 4% abv, which would mean it's OG would be around 1.040.

Listing the recipe might help.

22L is about 55 pints? Still a lot of beer to plough through, if it's not right.

Back