Issues with boil duration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specs

Reaction score
How does increasing boil duration affect beer?

I don't have my brewing process down to a science yet so sometimes at the end of my hour boil, I would have too much wort. Is it fine to just keep it boiling so more water will evaporate?

It is absolutely OK to do a longer boil. As you stated, this will evaporate more water, which will increase the gravity. This is actually a suggested method to increase gravity.

Don't forget to time your hop additions to the end of the boil, though. Your first addition will add a little more bitterness if you go from 60 to 90 minutes, but you want to be sure that your late additions are pushed back so that they still have the same time relative to the end (15 minutes until flameout, 5 minutes, etc.)

It will affect hop additions to a degree. Your 60 minute hops will get a little more utilization. When I say a little, I mean less than the human body can detect. However, if you put in a 10 minute addion and boil for 20 extra minutes you will see a more noticeable difference.

After 60 miuntes(bittering), the amount of utilization you can gain from the hops is minimal (1-3 IBUs in most recipes), but at 10-30 miuntes... that difference is vast. Not only would you notice more bittering from these late additions, you will also notice a decrease in flavor and aroma since those properties are fleeting at high temps when you increase boil time.

I boil all my beers for 90 min, sometimes more. Create yourself a way of measuring your wort by marking your spoon or paddle with gallon marks. For example my spoon has markings for 5g, 6g, 7g and 8g. When I get to 6g, I put my Immersion chiller in and also my 15 min Flavor hops in a short time after that. I boil down to about 5.5 gallons. If you boil off too much , you can always top off with water, but its not as easy to boil off more.

Yah, this thread should be about controlling volume through measurement of the pre-boil wort, and determining your boil off rate... then there is no worry about having to boil longer.

Be certain of what you boil off in 60 minutes

Add this to what you want to place in the fermentor (plus any deadspace)

This should be your pre-boil wort volume

Voila... no need to lengthen the boil

Back