Issue with Keg / Poppet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

go_mustangs

Reaction score
I've been both bottling and kegging my home brew and apfelwein for about two years. Yesterday after force carbing a 5 gallon batch of apfelwein I connected the "out" ball lock quick connect and it started leaking. I changed quick connects (I had another one) but the result was the same. I don't know much about it, but I'm guessing there is a problem with the ball lock poppet on the keg itself. My question is how to fix the keg and not loose the 5 gallon batch of apfelwein that is already carbed.

Can it be transferred into another keg?

Can I make the fix without removing the apfelwein from the keg?

Any suggestions you might have on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

transfer to a fresh keg by going out the "OUT" and in the "OUT" on the new keg. Then rebuild the leaky keg. This takes 2 black disconnects and a short piece of hose

No need to transfer.

It's not the poppet if the leak occurs after connecting the QD. If it's leaking from the post, most likely the o-ring on the post is your culprit. Replace and use some keg lube. The o-ring maybe a bit thin for it's purpose, hence not sealing on the QD's seat.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I put on a new o-ring and the results are unchanged. It still leaks quite a bit. I'm guessing the post/poppet needs to be replaced. If that's the case, can you give me some thoughts as to how I should go about fixing it (the keg is full with carbed apfelwien) and if I need to transfer the apfelwein, how should I go about doing it?

Thanks

Replacing the post will only help if the post is physically damaged in a way that the o-ring won't be able to create a seal. The poppet has nothing to do with that outer seal. A slightly thicker body o-ring can help in sealing. Plumbing store maybe? Sometimes a silicone o-ring does the job, they are a hair heavier, IIRC.

If you have another (spare) keg with the same posts on it, depressurize the keg and simply switch the posts. Then recharge. Not all posts are the same, even the threads and depths differ, so be careful, not to cause more damage. If it doesn't fit easily, it's no go. You can buy new posts (of the correct type), if they are indeed the problem.

Or transfer like @Bellybuster said, as a last resort. Whatever you do, use good sanitation of course, to keep bugs out. You may want to pre-purge with CO2, filling the receiving vessel 100% with CO2, before you transfer, to prevent or limit oxidation.

Are the QDs OK? Are they stamped CMB (raised print) along the top rim? If not, they are Chinese knockoffs and they maybe out of spec. A little here and a little there can add up when both are in opposite directions.

I hope you find and can fix the problem.

Back