issue with heffweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themashedone

Reaction score
my heffweizen with ginger root has been sitting for just over 2 weeks in the primary and i looked through the glass carboy and noticed the there is these little yellow flakes floating on the top. need i be alarmed or could that be some of the ginger root. i strained the wort before putting into the fermenter but i am a little worried that those flakes arent a good sign.

Who knows? It'll probably be fine.

Did you grate the ginger? Did you strain before or after adding ginger? What yeast did you use? Did you sanitize, boil, etc, etc, the ginger?

I diced the ginger then added to the last 10 minutes of the boil. exactly 1 ounce of ginger. then strained into primary and used a bavarian wheat wyeast smack pack.

Hmm. My gut says yeast colonies, which can look all sorts of weird.

Do the floaties look like the ginger you diced? Do you have a picture?

they do have a similar yellow to the ginger. picture is kinda tough to get considering there is a condensation buildup on the glass. I guess ill find out when i drink it not much i can do now huh. thanks for the help though.

Back