iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you build it yourself? How one of mine looks for comparison in case a component is in the wrong way round.
IMG_20220322_095346.jpgIMG_20220322_095356.jpg

Is that a tilt or reed switch I see for the reset?
Yes it is a reed switch, means that I can trigger it or adjust it when in the fermenter. ie change interval / turn off. Still works as normal. Useful if I've got something that's a real slow burner such as a Brett Saison. First few weeks had it hourly then as activity slowed turned it to 12 hourly. Slight fiddle to install but managed it fine.

@ChrisThomas
These were the ones I got
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32963409953.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802IK5cN8
These are the normally open type that are needed. They are fragile beasties so be careful when you bend the wires, gently support the wire with a clip and then bend the wire. Don't use the glass bit as support and then bend from there as it risks breaking the glass.

I did have a long discussion earlier in this thread about tilt switches and it was felt that not a good idea, also they are quite bulky. At the time I wanted to fit an induction charger onto the ispindel and have a completely sealed container. I did achieve it but the container was not robust enough to cope with any pressure and calibrating was a nightmare with glue to seal the lid etc. I still keep my eyes peeled for the perfect container or someone who could make me an all glass container with some expert glass blowing. Dreams.

Last edited:
I experimented a while back but I couldn't source a NO type at the time but I did get a change over reed switch instead to play around with. This worked quite well with a magnet to switch on/off without opening the lid. I hoped this would work with a wireless charger but as you mentioned it REALLY threw off the calibration and I felt it wasn't worth the benefit, at least with the gear I had. The reed switch modification worked very well though.

I agree that I don't think a tilt switch is as simple a solution as a reed switch, in reality just doesn't seem robust enough.

If you find a smaller container in your travels let me know the details. I have a working "mini iSpindel" based on a ESP12F and appart from being more difficult to program initially works just like an iSpindel. I was looking for a solution for narrower necked FVs just hope that if I do find a suitable container that I can calibrate "nicely".

I will send you a picture of a smaller container that I have measured for keykeg openings.
I reckon that a magnet on the inside and a piece of metal or plastic covered metal on the outside might be the way to go for calibrating / recalibrating. Just slide it up and down then it could be sealed.
Have you looked at lab supplies and test tubes for your narrower container?

Have you looked at lab supplies and test tubes for your narrower container?
Yes, I've tried a few screwtop test tubes but they're either too big or too small. The thought I had to make a mini iSpndel, is based on a ESP12F and that governs the PCB size and the minimum tube size. I'm not sure what the float angle is going to be like compared to the Petling but I'm going to continue to hunt for a suitable container. I have the PCB down to just over 20mm, although I haven't yet got any made, waiting for a container...

how long is this going to be? I will have a look at the internal diameters of a 30ml syringe. They have special needle end seals for threaded needle ends and the plunger part forms a perfect seal. The seal would just need restraining.

As I said this is a work in progress... The PCB isn't optimised yet and I was thinking of 18350 battery, at current size the PCB is 20.5 x 45.0 mm and the 18350 is 18 x 35mm, so I'm hoping to get the overall length about 80mm. I recon I can shave a bit more of the PCB "diameter" but not enough to match the 18mm diameter of the 18350. I've got more I can shave of the PCB length.

@ChrisThomas
Wondering about this as an option. Not sure internal diameter but if the end was tapped and a piece of the solid bar of correct size was cut to screw in with an O ring it would be very solid so wouldn't be effected by pressure. The other end could be glued in place. Or even just sealed up and " weld " plastic on to fine tune the calibration.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...98dd23e41859eb1d0cf7dcf08c2&afSmartRedirect=y
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...%3B-1%40salePrice%3BNZD%3Brecommend-recommend

@DuncB Thanks, I'd looked at tubes similar to your link in an attempt to end up with a similar solution to the tilt. Gives me different problems and not a simple solution as I was hoping for. I'm going to be having more time on my hands in a few weeks, I'm retiring, so was going to contact local suppliers/manufacturers to see if they can come up with and neat solutions.

Keep the ideas coming though, an existing solutionor from a global supply would be better.

Hi,
What about using the Kegland rapt pill case? This pressure tight, sanitary and has always the same dimension, compared to an pet preform. I suggested this also in the german forum.
Maybe somebody can update the pcb?

Lukas

Finally got around to calibrating. Is it ok or normal if the curve is a slope instead of a curve?

Attachments

• 1648166161732.png
    1648166161732.png
    31 KB · Views: 10
  • 1648166192236.png
    1648166192236.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 10
@Lalo_uy Thank you! Excellent call, I was using an ESP12F as I had one to hand, it also is a direct drop in replacement. I'll be looking at the ESP03 this week to see how it works... I'll see how quick I can get some to test.

@ChrisThomas
A smaller board opens up the possibility of a long narrow off the shelf " test tube" with the battery +- weight in the bottom and the Wifi antenna at the top, and the other components lined up in serial fashion. I will have a look at a test tube I've got to see whether it can get that 25 degree final angle and higher gravity angles without having the lid semi submerged.

I've got test tubes, but couldn't get the electronics small enough to fit. Over the next few days I'll have a detailed look at the dimesions and if it works I'll source some ESP03s to test. Thanks guys!

I've got test tubes, but couldn't get the electronics small enough to fit. Over the next few days I'll have a detailed look at the dimesions and if it works I'll source some ESP03s to test. Thanks guys!
Too bad I just chequed ESP-03 lacks analag input, so no battery voltage monitoring. Not good.

Too bad I just chequed ESP-03 lacks analag input, so no battery voltage monitoring. Not good.
Ah! That's not good ,but thank you for checking. I'd be happy to solder a wire onto the ADC input of the chip, that does not mean that everyone is. I'm going to stick to the 12F for now and keep looking a smaller container. Slow burner project!

Would the battery monitor be that important? Wouldn't take long to work out the " life " of the charged battery. I always recharge mine after each brew or is it to prevent overcharging?
I will still keep my eyes peeled for a suitable container.
@pocketmon I will test out your new calibration on one that needs redoing. ChrisThomas wants something narrower than the rapt pill container. But I agree it would be good to shoehorn the ipsindel into that container for the reasons you stated.

Would the battery monitor be that important?
I'm currently thinking yes it is? I recharge when I get down to 3.5V or so. I get a couple of months or half a dozen brews out one charge (so far).

I might add the Rapt Pill container parts to my next Kegland order and then look at a PCB redesign however, I'm more interested in a "shrunk" version for my needs.

@ChrisThomas
Is that because you don't want to do full charge and discharge cycles on the battery to prolong it's life?
I agree a shrunk version would be useful, I want a smaller one to fit through the openings on keykegs which I ferment in sometimes.

@ChrisThomas
Is that because you don't want to do full charge and discharge cycles on the battery to prolong it's life?
I agree a shrunk version would be useful, I want a smaller one to fit through the openings on keykegs which I ferment in sometimes.
Yes to try and maintain battery health and yes I will continue to look for a suitable container/capsule.

I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I brew in my non-connected garage and my wifi is in the house. The wifi works just fine in the garage as long as the garage door is open. My question is, after losing connection, will my ispindle auto connect to the wifi when the wifi is available in that area?

I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I brew in my non-connected garage and my wifi is in the house. The wifi works just fine in the garage as long as the garage door is open. My question is, after losing connection, will my ispindle auto connect to the wifi when the wifi is available in that area?
Yes it will but you'll miss all data in between connections, it will only send the data of the moment it connects to WiFi successfully. I would recommend installing a WiFi range extender in your garage, then the iSpindel will always have a connection to the extender and the extender with your WiFi in the house.

I had a similar situation, my wifi was hit or miss in the garage which is where I brew and where my fermenters are. I added a wifi range extender in the garage and it solved my issue, both ispindle’s stay connected with no issues.

I'm sorry, will my
I had a similar situation, my wifi was hit or miss in the garage which is where I brew and where my fermenters are. I added a wifi range extender in the garage and it solved my issue, both ispindle’s stay connected with no issues.
Thanks, sounds like that's what I need to do.

@ChrisThomas Thought it might be.
One that would fit in those yeast bay bottles would be the perfect size for my key keg fermenters.
Currently I'm trying to work out why one of my ispindel is losing 0.01 v per half hour and it's only signalling every half an hour. Brand new battery and tried another battery as well. No lights on and was working normally before but now excessive power loss.
When it was on every 15 minutes it lasted 36 hours and at half hour intervals with another battery lasted 52 hours very odd.

Not sure how to identify this issue anyone any ideas?

@ChrisThomas Thought it might be.
One that would fit in those yeast bay bottles would be the perfect size for my key keg fermenters.
Currently I'm trying to work out why one of my ispindel is losing 0.01 v per half hour and it's only signalling every half an hour. Brand new battery and tried another battery as well. No lights on and was working normally before but now excessive power loss.
When it was on every 15 minutes it lasted 36 hours and at half hour intervals with another battery lasted 52 hours very odd.

Not sure how to identify this issue anyone any ideas?
It could be either some issues related to wifi connection (takes a long time) or the device is not going to deep-sleep properly.

@mper
I have a good wifi signal as it's connecting to a repeater and has a signal of about 60.
Something not right for sure, I've watched it and the blue light only flashes at the interval the timing is set to. It's now at 3.76V and started at 4.13 less than 24 hours ago.
I'll get it out of the petling and take a picture with my FLIR camera and see if there's a hot spot. Reload the latest firmware and have a really good look at all the solder points to see if I can spot a problem.

Back