iSpindle - DIY Electronic Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to make sure the flash worked, because I have a bunch of boards used at school in STEM classes, I am not 100% sure they are all operational. That along with an over-supply of non-data cables (now all in the bin) and well used faulty data cables too, have caused headaches all afternoon. I didn't want to solder in an esp8266 board to the PCB only to find it not working properly. I was overthinking things after cable frustrations.

I am revisiting this to see if I can simplify the project a little to lower the cognitive load.
I am using various PCBs and previously used esp8266 units before buying in new equipment.

In the end I held the pins from the esp8266 against the solder pads long enough to get a connection and see the iSpindel WIFI and look at the data.

Thank you for your reply.

I have uploaded the iSpindel firmware but failing to get an access point. It's been a while so my memory might be foggy. I used to be able to upload the firmware and access 194.168.4.1 even with nothing connected.

I have tried flashing different versions on several esp8226 board. Each time I can only get the ESP-CA... on a wifi signal not the normal iSpindel AP. I have used the node mcu flasher and done the INTERNAL://NODEMCU and INTERNAL://BLANK before uploading firmware. I have used Brewflasher too.

This is the error message over Arduino IDE serial monitor:
FW 7.0.0
2.2.2-dev(38a443e)
Worker run!
mounting FS... mounted!
ERROR: failed to load json config

ERROR config corrupted
scanning for OW device on pin: 5
No devices found!
scanning for OW device on pin: 12
No devices found!
scanning for OW device on pin: 0
No devices found!
No devices found!
ERROR: cannot find a OneWire Temperature Sensor!
Acc Test Connection ERROR!
offsets not available
Boot-Mode: Deep-Sleep Wake

I am at a loss. I am not really worried about the errors for things not yet connected. The failed to load json config I am concerned about but have run out of ideas.
You clearly have a hardware problem, probably a faulty MPU6050 (gyro) or temp sensor.

I have uploaded the iSpindel firmware but failing to get an access point. It's been a while so my memory might be foggy. I used to be able to upload the firmware and access 194.168.4.1 even with nothing connected.

I have tried flashing different versions on several esp8226 board. Each time I can only get the ESP-CA... on a wifi signal not the normal iSpindel AP. I have used the node mcu flasher and done the INTERNAL://NODEMCU and INTERNAL://BLANK before uploading firmware. I have used Brewflasher too.

This is the error message over Arduino IDE serial monitor:
FW 7.0.0
2.2.2-dev(38a443e)
Worker run!
mounting FS... mounted!
ERROR: failed to load json config

ERROR config corrupted
scanning for OW device on pin: 5
No devices found!
scanning for OW device on pin: 12
No devices found!
No devices found!
No devices found!
ERROR: cannot find a OneWire Temperature Sensor!
Acc Test Connection ERROR!
offsets not available
Boot-Mode: Deep-Sleep Wake

I am at a loss. I am not really worried about the errors for things not yet connected. The failed to load json config I am concerned about but have run out of ideas.
You need to complete the build or it wont start at all. You get the json error because it has not saved any config yet

I wanted to make sure the flash worked, because I have a bunch of boards used at school in STEM classes, I am not 100% sure they are all operational. That along with an over-supply of non-data cables (now all in the bin) and well used faulty data cables too, have caused headaches all afternoon. I didn't want to solder in an esp8266 board to the PCB only to find it not working properly. I was overthinking things after cable frustrations.

I am revisiting this to see if I can simplify the project a little to lower the cognitive load.
I am using various PCBs and previously used esp8266 units before buying in new equipment.

In the end I held the pins from the esp8266 against the solder pads long enough to get a connection and see the iSpindel WIFI and look at the data.

Thank you for your reply.
You could try flashing the tempmon software made by @mper as a variant of the gravitymon software it's an option in brewflasher. This doesn't require the gyro or the temp sensor as it can use the D1 mini temp sensor. This might allow testing of your D1 board.

I use this for remote monitoring of my brewfridge temperature, just need the D1 mini and battery holder and battery. You can remove the battery and charge it in a dedicated charger then replace or add the charging module if you have one lurking about.

You could try flashing the tempmon software made by @mper as a variant of the gravitymon software it's an option in brewflasher. This doesn't require the gyro or the temp sensor as it can use the D1 mini temp sensor. This might allow testing of your D1 board.

I use this for remote monitoring of my brewfridge temperature, just need the D1 mini and battery holder and battery. You can remove the battery and charge it in a dedicated charger then replace or add the charging module if you have one lurking about.
You can use my gravitymon software as well, it will work without any sensors (you will get prompted about them missing but it will start). Unfortunately the ispindle wont start unless all the external devices is in place.

Hi all- I've read a ton through this and searched to no avail. My iSpindel is linked to my Brewer's Friend account and I cannot get accurate readings whatsoever. Temp always reads 32F. Gravity reading is in Plato (which I am fairly certain I changed, but it is wildly inaccurate. ABV is showing up as -2237% whatever that is. This was not a home build and the seller gets very high ratings, so I'm fairly sure it is my ineptitude. Any ideas or thoughts?

Hi all- I've read a ton through this and searched to no avail. My iSpindel is linked to my Brewer's Friend account and I cannot get accurate readings whatsoever. Temp always reads 32F. Gravity reading is in Plato (which I am fairly certain I changed, but it is wildly inaccurate. ABV is showing up as -2237% whatever that is. This was not a home build and the seller gets very high ratings, so I'm fairly sure it is my ineptitude. Any ideas or thoughts?
Do you know how to use the reset switch to put the ispindel into local mode?

Use the reset button a few times and then locate ispindel network on your phone, connect to that and it will show you a page with options. Select info and you should see angle and temperature. See if temp is different.
You should also be able to see the build number of ispindel software you are using.

This will be a starting help. The other numbers issue looks like a formula error, either from the ispindel or a setting in brewers friend. I link my ispindels to brewspy so can't offer much help there.

Did you follow these instructions, especially the sg part where it say's
"** You will need to change the polynominal in the config for the correct gravity value when using the specific gravity URL."
and calibration part?

By default an iSpindel reports gravity in Plato so if you want SG you'll have to put a SG formula in the iSpindel's polynominal field.

See:
iSpindel - Brewer's Friend Docs

Last edited:
Hi all, I have been looking through this thread and searching on google but can’t seem to find any help. I finished soldering my second ISpindel a couple days ago using the Jeffery 2.69 pcb and noticed an issue when I powered it on using the battery. The temperature probe instantly heated up extremely hot and started to smoke. All other parts turned on okay but I do not know what could be causing this issue other than a short somewhere? There is definitely no solder bridge between the pins, the only think I could suspect would be some residual conductivity from flux? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Hi all, I have been looking through this thread and searching on google but can’t seem to find any help. I finished soldering my second ISpindel a couple days ago using the Jeffery 2.69 pcb and noticed an issue when I powered it on using the battery. The temperature probe instantly heated up extremely hot and started to smoke. All other parts turned on okay but I do not know what could be causing this issue other than a short somewhere? There is definitely no solder bridge between the pins, the only think I could suspect would be some residual conductivity from flux? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Check the orientation and pins, you probably soldered it backwards, switching + and -

Check the orientation and pins, you probably soldered it backwards, switching + and -
I believe I tried to follow the directions from opensourcedistilling and watching his video it looks like the flat side of the ds18b20 is facing up, which is what I currently have. I believe I did it this way for my previous ISpindel and it is currently working in a batch of Kolsch. I suppose I could desolder and try it the other way?

The only thing I can think of is that you soldered the temp probe the wrong way round.

I believe I tried to follow the directions from opensourcedistilling and watching his video it looks like the flat side of the ds18b20 is facing up, which is what I currently have. I believe I did it this way for my previous ISpindel and it is currently working in a batch of Kolsch. I suppose I could desolder and try it the other way?
This is the pins on the temp probe, but if it was smoking it is probably broken. this is seen from the bottom.

1691181293813.png

This is the pins on the temp probe, but if it was smoking it is probably broken. this is seen from the bottom.

View attachment 826406
I’m sure that I must have some how mixed up the pins because obviously I should not be seeing smoke. But from what I have seen from other images and from my other ISpindel unit, this current one is facing the correct direction. Here is an image of what it looks like:

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpeg
    IMG_4615.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I believe I tried to follow the directions from opensourcedistilling and watching his video it looks like the flat side of the ds18b20 is facing up
That was in the previous version of the Jeffreys. With the 2.69 he altered the orientation of the temp probe 180 degrees so that the round side faces up so that it matches the round side of the inside of the tube making it easier to insert aswell.

20230805_013356.jpg

That is a pretty professional photo if you ask me, lol.
But that is one of my builds witth the 2.69 version of the board, with the round side of the DS18B20 facing up.

I can attest that if you swap pins 1 and 3 connections to a ds18b20 it will get hella toasty (finger scorching) and likely damaged...

Cheers! (File under "Don't Do That")

I’m sure that I must have some how mixed up the pins because obviously I should not be seeing smoke. But from what I have seen from other images and from my other ISpindel unit, this current one is facing the correct direction. Here is an image of what it looks like:
The outline on the pcb does not match the orientation of the temp sensor, its backwards. On his website the orientation is as you have mounted but this must be a different version of the pcb.

The outline on the pcb does not match the orientation of the temp sensor, its backwards. On his website the orientation is as you have mounted but this must be a different version of the pcb.
Thanks for your input! I was able to double check my other ISpindel and indeed I have it soldering in backwards...off to get out my desoldering stuff and purchasing a new sensor. Thanks!

Yes, on version 2.69 he rotated the orientation of the sensor so that the rounded portion would be against the petling. That only applies to the 2.69 version though.

Are there any upgraded housings that have a gasket of some type? The one I have has nothing, it’s plastic on plastic, which somehow never leaks but id like a gasket/sealing ring in there

Are there any upgraded housings that have a gasket of some type? The one I have has nothing, it’s plastic on plastic, which somehow never leaks but id like a gasket/sealing ring in there
The tubes are designed to seal without a gasket... It's how things like coke bottles work. I've tested gaskets, but they often get mishappen when you tighten the cap and actually cause more leaks...!

I've been using a nitrile O ring in mine for ages. I've found the upper edge of the petling and the oring should have the lightest silicone lube on them. Then when tightening it up ensure it's seated nicely, not cross threaded and then tighten a bit and then back off. This seems to get it seated properly. Doing it up tight in one go tends to cause it to not seat evenly.
I regularly spund to target vols of pressure, currently have an ispindel in wort at 22 C and 27psi for about a week so far.

Put on some keg lube on the rim, that helps with sealing.

Hello,

I am looking for some help with setting up my Ispindel for its first use tomorrow. I have done all of the calibrations as shown on "Open Source Distilling". I ran the sugar water calibration from 1.080 to 1.010 and have a polynomial formula. The web software for logging data I will be using is Ubidots Stem. I added a new synthetic variable with the formula + Tilt.

I am confused about adding the same formula to the actual Ispindel configuration page. There is a formula already there but it has spaces?

Do I replace this formula with my new formula?

Here are the two formulas:

Original formula already in the text box 0.8846314422115845 + 0.006835318893387815 *tilt-0.00011168866813314932 *tilt*tilt + 7.789914994253684e-7 *tilt*tilt*tilt

My new calibrated formula -24.956278793534832+1.5129534951161707*tilt-0.024338771355036714*tilt*tilt+0.00016651996040404843*tilt*tilt*tilt

Thank you for your speedy help as I need to use this tomorrow. (should have done this sooner!!)

I connect to brewspy so no experience with ubidots.
It is important that you have your formula worked out in gravity points not brix or plato.
Also sometimes things get a bit weird with too many decimal points, beyond 8 springs to mind. But looking at my formula in one ispindel for example.
Screenshot_20240219-202334.png

Hello,

Thank for your reply. I will just have to live with my formula for this brew and track it, but I just need to know the basic question of - Do I replace the formula on the Ispindel calibration page with my new formula?

Also, everything I read seemed to say the formula needed to be in Plato? Mine is in Plato.

Here's an OG formula for one of my Ispindels,
Degree 1: 0.9554521947610962 + 0.0018053132204705594 *tilt
Degree 2: 0.977849044389365 + 0.0007579512013156912 *tilt + 0.000010918218084628909 *tilt*tilt
Degree 3: 0.8950818012060067 + 0.006675955484390845 *tilt-0.00012078928385243679 *tilt*tilt + 9.215644682120751e-7 *tilt*tilt*tilt

Plato formula for the same one

Degree 1: -10.46874409666387 + 0.4333706030927459 *tilt
Degree 2: -6.647402147821194 + 0.25467009450115047 *tilt + 0.0018628622090110917 *tilt*tilt
Degree 3: -25.78178425153708 + 1.622812259064148 *tilt-0.028585677225930934 *tilt*tilt + 0.00021305006654522902 *tilt*tilt*tilt

Brewspy will either use the formula on the ispindel or can use one you insert into it and it will use that.

I'm not sure how ubidots does it.

The most useful thing about the ispindel is secondary temperature monitor and the fermentation trend. Don't rely on it's accuracy if fermenting beer as there are krausen effects. The one I have in wine ferments is super accurate though.
Will await an update on your brew, good luck.

I don't know if ubidots uses the formula from the ispindel. But if it does then change it over. If you drop it in some water after it should have a gravity reading of 1.000 or near if working right.

Back