ISpindel + Smart Plug to control Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an ISpindel that I have not hooked up yet, so I not really up to speed yet. I was wondering if there is a proven way to utilize the temperature reading coming off the ISpindel to connect to a smart plug and control on/off of a wine fridge? I have seen some stuff on the web about IFTT and apps. So somebody has done this. I just wanted to see how many brewers here are doing this.

Or is it just better/easier to get an Inkbird and drill a hole for the temp probe?

Thanks!

In theory it can be done, if the smartplug can receive the signal.... However I would not recommend that approach since its too many parts that can go wrong, if you run out of batteri, wifi connection issues. Its better to connect a temperature sensor directly to the thing that will control your fridge.

If you want to buy something the inkbird (or similar) is a good option.

But if you want to take the DIY approach there are several ways to do that depending on how accurate you want the temperature to be. I'm using esphome for controlling my keezer but for my fermentration fride I'm using brewpi-esp8266 which has a PID controller and much higher accuracy than esphome... Let me know if you want more details.

Thanks. I was just looking for a way to not drill anymore on the fridge. Sounds like hardware control via the various floating hydrometers is not yet mainstream. Would be great if the Inkbird wifi model would grab the ISpindel stream of information.

Last edited:
Brewpiless can grab the ispindel temp and use that.You wouldn't need to drill the fridge.
Do also consider that the temp probe wires easily are compensated by the fridges door seal. So no need to drill for the pobes any way

Brewpiless uses an esp8266 and temp sensors, software is loaded into it which you put settings into via web interface. The fridge is turned on if too warm and off if too cold, heating can be achieved with control of heat source in fridge as well. An

Thanks. So the esp8266 would communicate with a smart A/C adapter to turn the fridge on or off?

Doing some googling and a lot of rigs look pretty Frankenstein imho :) Are there any finished solutions out there to just purchase?

Brewpiless can grab the ispindel temp and use that.You wouldn't need to drill the fridge.
Do also consider that the temp probe wires easily are compensated by the fridges door seal. So no need to drill for the pobes any way
I put my sensors through the door seal, works fine. Does not affect the stability of the temperature. I would avoid drilling hole in a fridge/freezer so I dont put a hole the cooling tubes.

Back