ISO Great Grain Selection Online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilgarlic

Reaction score
BYO Mag featured some interesting recipes this month. I want to do the Surly Bitter Brewer and the 21st Amendment Bitter American clones. They both look like very flavorful, hoppy beers in the 4%-5% range. My sweet spot.

The Surly uses Fawcett Optic and Canadian Malting pale ale as base malts along with Simpson's Golden Naked Oats, while the 21st Amendment uses Golden Promise pale malt. I searched for a while and found no single vendor that sells all four, let alone the Simpson's crystal malts called for in the Surly.

I know, I know, I can substitute. But one of the advantages we tout for all grain brewing is the flexibility and specificity allowed by carefully selecting malts. When a brewer calls out a specific brand in his recipe I would prefer to respect his choice. Not all pales are created equal.

Who has the most comprehensive malt selection online???

Sweet. The recipe looks really interesting to me as well. I've been wanting to do it for a while. Let us know how it turns out.

I just picked up some bitter american at bevmo.......this will be a good camping beer. Being its caned.

What they are talking about is the specific Malts they use at the brewery, Each area in the country has it's own malt suppliers. So, I would go with what you can get locally, I would substitute any brand of "marris otter" Fawcett Optic: Rahr or Bries pale. the Simpsons crystal malts and naked Oats are available at most places.

Yodal, I know you would, and so would most. Not what I'm looking for, but thanks!

Pilgarlic said:
Yodal, I know you would, and so would most. Not what I'm looking for, but thanks!

I agree. Sometimes you just want to make a recipe the way it's meant to be. For example, you can't tell me there is a straight replacement for golden promise.

Latest posts

Back