Is Yeast Nocturnal ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
Is yeast more active at night time than during the daytime ?

I've got 6 batches in primary right now, and they don't burp all day long except after midnight till about the time I get up in the morning.

I'm starting to think that yeast likes to wake up and be more active at nighttime. Is there anything to this or just my imagination ?

ColoradoXJ13 said:
your house may be warmer at night when you are home and turn on the heat. Yeast are not nocturnal.

I didn't think it was that much warmer, but I guess you're right. Either that or the house is quieter at night time so I can hear the burps that I don't notice during the day.

Well seriously...

I get home from work about a quarter to 7 and check the beer. Look at the temps, watch it for a few minutes to see which ones are still bubbling. Haven't noticed any bubbling for a few days.

And then after wife and kids go to bed and I'm sleeping... "Blurp!" "Blurp!" every few seconds...

From all I can tell the temperature is the same. I've got a thermometer on the thermostat, a thermometer on the shelf near the beer, and most of the fermenters have a thermometer on them too, which is why I was kind of not sure it was the temperature or anything.

Mutilated1 said:
And then after wife and kids go to bed and I'm sleeping... "Blurp!" "Blurp!" every few seconds...

Maybe the wife has been drinking your beers all day:D

Back