Is WLP320 really less phenolic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
In the past I've always used WLP300 for Hefe's, and fermented in my basement at ambient temps ranging from 63 in the winter to 66 in the summer.

The end product is very good and representative of a Hefeweizen, but I'd like to cut back on the phenolics quite a bit for upcoming Roggenbier and Weizenbock brews.

Has anyone who's used WLP320 (or any of the other weizen strains for that matter) confirm for me that they produce less phenolics than WLP300 or should I consider blending yeasts to get the result that I'm looking for?

I like the weihenstephan wiezen (wyeast 3068). I haven't used the 300 yet (I have a new vial in my fridge) so I can't speak relative to the 300, but I think that the 3068 produces a pretty low phenolic profile as long as you ferment it cool (65-67º).

I haven't used 320, but I have used Wyeast American wheat and I had a very good experience with it. It had essentially no phenols, it was pretty much 1056 with very poor flocculation.

I like the weihenstephan wiezen (wyeast 3068). I haven't used the 300 yet (I have a new vial in my fridge) so I can't speak relative to the 300, but I think that the 3068 produces a pretty low phenolic profile as long as you ferment it cool (65-67º).

Wyeast 3068 and WLP300 are the same yeast.

I used the WLP380 on a Dunkelweizen and it definitely keeps the banana notes pretty low while still producing other trademark Hefe phenolics and esters.

If you can ferment WLP300 around 62F, there are very little phenolics produced (as compared to somewhere in the low 70s). Don't know if this helps you, but this has been my experience.

What I'm really trying to get away from is the huge banana phenolic. I fermented 2 batches of Hefe at ambient temps of 64F and they're both HUGE in banana. That's ok for a Hefe, but not want I want in my Roggenbier or Weizenbock.

From White Labs:

WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.
Attenuation: 72-76%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-72°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
This yeast is used to produce the Oregon style American Hefeweizen. Unlike WLP300, this yeast produces a very slight amount of the banana and clove notes. It produces some sulfur, but is otherwise a clean fermenting yeast, which does not flocculate well, producing a cloudy beer.
Attenuation: 70-75%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-69°F

* WLP351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast
PLATINUM STRAIN – July/August
Former Yeast Lab W51 yeast strain, acquired from Dan McConnell. The description originally used by Yeast Lab still fits: "This strain produces a classic German-style wheat beer, with moderately high, spicy, phenolic overtones reminiscent of cloves."
Attenuation: 73-77%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 66-70°F

WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast
Large clove and phenolic aroma and flavor, with minimal banana. Refreshing citrus and apricot notes. Crisp, drinkable hefeweizen. Less flocculent than WLP300, and sulfur production is higher.
Attenuation: 73-80%
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 66-70°F

It sounds lile WLP320 or WLP380 are the way to go if I want to cut back on the bananas. I'll probably just get both of them and maybe split up a batch of Roggenbier and see how the results differ.

Ive brewed with them all. 320 is what you are looking for i think

The bavarian is my favorite, but i like the phenolics

the 320 is great, I used it for my Imperial Hefe and there is no phenols at all that I could tell. It tasted like suflur for the first week after primary and went away after that.

I may have to try the 380. I'm not a hefe fan because of the banana and clove, but the refreshing citrus and apricot sound very nice!

the 380 is nice, it does give more of an apricot taste than banana. it was fantastic in a dunkelweizen i made. never tried the 320, but i'd imagine the banana is much more subdued, especially if you ferment at low temps.

but really, if you don't want the esters, why not use a dry ale yeast? american wheat beers can just be made with nottingham.

EDIT: re-read...roggen, got it.

I have one made with 380 on tap right now and I get no banana to speak of, but a ton of clove. I can see a little bit of the apricot and the cloves are dulling down a little bit with age, but as of now it's all clove.

Back