Is too much Carapils bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Gilbert

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch and was hoping to tackle a New England IPA recipe I found. It called for about 6% Carapils. The problem is I order everything online in 1lb increments and when I picked it up, everything was ground and combined in one bag. So the ground combination is about 11% Carapils. Will it be ok or should I pick up more Pale Ale 2-Row to balance it out?

Grain Bill
Pale Ale 2-Row 84.7%
Flaked Oats 9.4%
Carapils 5.9%

Last edited:
Carapils supposedly has no flavor but is there to add body or increase the final gravity. You might get a beer that is more "chewy" but otherwise not change the flavor of the beer.

Carapils is usually included in making wort extract. Since I have been all grain brewing I choose the mash temp to get the unfermentable sugars instead of adding Carapils.

Carapils supposedly has no flavor but is there to add body or increase the final gravity. You might get a beer that is more "chewy" but otherwise not change the flavor of the beer.

Carapils is usually included in making wort extract. Since I have been all grain brewing I choose the mash temp to get the unfermentable sugars instead of adding Carapils.

Thanks for the tip.

Back