Is this yeast ok to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Quick and dirty if it. Want to make a dunkleweizen when I have vacation in October.

Saved some Hefeweizen yeast from a batch in June.

My procedure was as follows. I wasn’t expecting to save anything but changed my mind last minute. Starsaned a foam cup and poured in slurry. I always keep a couple cleaned soda bottles just in case, so poured it in a clean and starsaned bottle.

Started with a loose cap tightened it up later.

Can I use this yeast or should I buy new? Never reused yeast before.

I’d make a starter to see if it’s worth adding to 5 gallons. You should be able tell if the starter is off.

Year after year, I've been getting regretful brews when trying to reuse yeasts harvested in summer. Given my sanitation protocol was the same throughout the year and I got infected starters only in summer, I came to suspect it's not about my sanitation practices but rather about airborn microbes blooming in the warm season and somehow finding their way into my harvested yeast. So, I don't harvest yeasts in summer anymore.

In different climates and locations things could be quite different, of course.

Last edited:
Back