Is This Yeast Good For Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyeary90

Reaction score
My local store carries this strain of yeast that creates up to 20% ABV. It's supposed to be used for making liqeurs and distilled beverages, but I was wondering if I could throw it in a beer recipe to make some super strong crunk ale. My two concerns are:

A) My beer would end up having a slight hint of rubbing alcohol flavor to it
B) Obviously these yeast ferment a lot more than regular brewers yeast, which means increased CO2, so I'd be worried about a potential problem with an exploding bucket/leak/etc.

Here's a link to my local homebrewing store's website. The yeast I am talking about is called "Super Yeast 4 OZ".

You forgot the link...

But, on the subject of extremely high gravity "crunk" ales... unless you have a lot of experience with them, I'd avoid it. I do a lot of HG beers, and anything above 9-10% can be a pain in the ass to ferment. You can't just dump all the sugars in at once, you need a huge starter, etc. You really have to baby big beers. Not to mention a 20% beer will taste more like hooch than beer.

I've heard of this yeast before, but never really looked into using it. It would be an interesting experiment though. If you end up trying it, let us know how it turns out. I don't think the increased CO2 would be an issue as long as you're using a blow off tube.

people have tried these 'turbo yeasts' in beer making, and they do usually result in a rather inferior beer. hot alcohol flavor, esters, phenols...

Back