Is this worth brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have left over grains and was considering grinding them up and making a batch. Based on the grains and quantities (in lbs) below, would this be worth brewing? How would I even know what OG to target?

Pale Millet Malt 3.81
Biscuit Rice Malt 2.90
Crystal Rice Malt 1.99
Munich Millet Malt 0.78
James Brown Rice Malt 0.75
Vienna Millet Malt 0.83
Caramillet Malt 0.77

It is almost 12 lbs of grain so I was thinking of doing a 5 gallon batch.

Might be interesting. If the "crystal rice" and "caramillet" are like regular crystal I'd cut them back to 1/2 lb. total at most.

Where did you get millet malt from?

All the Best,
D. White

That could be an interesting beer. It actually brings up a good point about GF brewing. Since we use enzymes, we aren't restricted to having a large base of pale malt for enzyme activity. But most recipes use a large amount of pale millet or pale rice anyway. There's nothing stopping you from making a batch like this with a large amount of roasted grain if you use enzymes.

I think that sounds really interesting. You've got well over 6 lbs of 'base' malt there, then the specialty malts. I agree with the above about backing off the crystal - two pounds is a lot and will leave you with a pretty sweet beer.

What hops and yeast are you thinking of using? If you used something noble-ish in hops and a nice lager yeast, this could perhaps get you in the ball park for what BJCP now calls an International Amber Lager. Or some nice citrusy American hops and a clean yeast for an Amber Ale.

You can use software to target your OG or the maths if you're smart. I use Brewers friend.

My first thoughts are Amber ale. As others said, you can treat the pale, Vienna, Munich & biscuit rice as base malt. You can dial back the crystal maybe. It will be fine either way imo. I often brew Amber's and stouts with up to 40% crystal & roasted grains.

Did u end up getting enzymes?

That could be an interesting beer. It actually brings up a good point about GF brewing. Since we use enzymes, we aren't restricted to having a large base of pale malt for enzyme activity. But most recipes use a large amount of pale millet or pale rice anyway. There's nothing stopping you from making a batch like this with a large amount of roasted grain if you use enzymes.

thanks! if you had to choose nottingham, S-04 or M36 yeasts for this grain bill, which one would you choose?

I think that sounds really interesting. You've got well over 6 lbs of 'base' malt there, then the specialty malts. I agree with the above about backing off the crystal - two pounds is a lot and will leave you with a pretty sweet beer.

What hops and yeast are you thinking of using? If you used something noble-ish in hops and a nice lager yeast, this could perhaps get you in the ball park for what BJCP now calls an International Amber Lager. Or some nice citrusy American hops and a clean yeast for an Amber Ale.

I have nottingham, S-04 and M36 yeasts in my fridge. I am planning to do this brew within the next 2 weeks or so.

You can use software to target your OG or the maths if you're smart. I use Brewers friend.

My first thoughts are Amber ale. As others said, you can treat the pale, Vienna, Munich & biscuit rice as base malt. You can dial back the crystal maybe. It will be fine either way imo. I often brew Amber's and stouts with up to 40% crystal & roasted grains.

Did u end up getting enzymes?

Yes - I have two enzymes on hand and plan to add more from GFHB.com

You should definitely do it. I call these leftover brews “Zoo Ales”. You never quite know how it will work but one of my zoo ales was in the top 5 beers I brewed.

Back