is this the right system for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am thinking of jumping into Kegging. I have 2 questions. My first is:

I am going to be turning my mini fridge into a kegerator. Is the Gas container supposed to be inside the fridge, outside, or does it make no diffrence.

Second, how does this kit look.....Do i need to get an aditional equipment or will i be good to go with this?

Thanks!

http://www.homebrewing.org/Homebrew-Kegging-System_p_24-69.html

Well my concern with that kit is it doesn't tell you how long the dispensing hose is. You'll want at least 7 to 8 feet so the system is balanced. You'll also be using a picnic tap. Also it is a single gauge regulator. A dual gauge is nice so you can see when the tank is getting low.

Will a keg fit into your mini fridge? You want a fridge big enough for the keg to fit in with out having the cooling coils on the top of the fridge. Sanyo makes a model that is ideal for kegger conversions.

And no it doesn't matter where the CO2 bottle is. Some like it inside so it's hidden, others put it outside.

Looks good to me, I would put the bottle outside your fridge. This gives you more space for beer (bottles or etc). You will love kegging over bottling. I do everything in kegs now and love it. As far as additional equipment, I would think a tap would be good, but if you don't mind opening your fridge to pour a beer then you are set, cheaper. As for the dual gauge, I don't use one and it gives you a visual hey I'm going empty right before it goes empty. Picking your tank up is what I do and I have a spare for emergency/transportable, but that is an extra cost not necessary.

Its kinda barebones... you're gonna get tired of using a picnic spicket real quick. I would go with a:

Used 5# Co2 tank
Dual guage regulator
14ft of gas line
14ft of beer line
2 gas taps
2 beer taps
at least two kegs... more the merrier
2 product beer tower
2 elbow shanks
2 shirron/perlick faucets
2 gas line check valves
assorted T's for your gas line, and hose clamps for all the barbed fittings.

What you posted will get you on your way, barely. You would have down time between kegs due to carbonation, and your beer will not be aged cause you will have to drink it right away (or not use the keggerator). You'll have to open the door every time you want a brew. You will not see what your Co2 tank pressure is cause there is only the service pressure gauge. Really, this system is super super bare bones and you will be upgrading in the future which will cost you more in the long road.

If you are serious about continuing to brew and keg, I would spend a little up front and get decent hardware and a beer tower. Yeah the tower will double the price, but its worth it.

I would stick the Co2 bottle in the keggerator. Out of sight, out of mind. There is less drilling holes in the fridge too. The kegs are pretty tall and will make accessing bottles on that back shelf difficult to begin with. That space is better used for your tank and brew supplies like hops and yeast cultures.

Can I get in on this Q & A session? I dont want to hjack the thread.

If you put the bottle on the outside, do you just mount a coupler to connect it to? I mean, like a junction that mounts to the fridge?

Most people drill a small hole and run their gas lines in through the rear of the fridge, down by the water drain. The regulator stays on the bottle. Also, if you leave the tank outside, there is a higher chance of it getting knocked over. This can and will damage your regulator. Its impossible for my tank to fall over in the fridge...well... unless a tornado flips the entire fridge over or something.

Sherpa FE said:
Can I get in on this Q & A session? I dont want to hjack the thread.
hijack.med.jpg

;) I'm sorry I Couldn't resist. But I don't know the question to your answer.

LOL, what a cool sign..LOL
I am just at the building the parts list phase, and just want to build it right, I have enough room for 4 kegs I think, and was going to have 3 for beer and 1 for soda.

So it is better to have the bottle on the inside, to protect it. unless I build a rack for it so it does not get knocked over.

What set-up would you recommend for tapping 4 kegs, all at different pressures?
I am looking for any advice, and If I am hijacking this one, I can certainly start another thread.

Thanks

I don't think that looks like such a bad deal.

If you're not in a hurry, try looking around on CL to see what you can find.

I've been cobbling a system together over the last three weeks.

I was able to get two cornies free from a friend who does demolition work. They were tearing down an old bar. The cornies were filthy but an overnight oxy-clean soak, total disassembly of tubes and valves along with some bar-keepers friend on the outside, and they look new and hold pressure! :ban:

I was able to score a deal on CL last week and pick up an older Perlick single gauge regulator and 5 lb tank for $20. :D

I disassembled the regulator, cleaned and inspected the diaphram, and put it back together. It works great. All I need now are hoses and disconnects and I'm ready to go!

I'm sure I will be wanting to upgrade sometime but I will have a good start on kegging for around $40-45. Not to shabby!

wow! thats a steal for sure!! I will check out CL but i have never had much luck there!! Thanks everyone for the advice....very helpful!

Back