Is this the right efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used an online efficiency calculator this morning to determine how my process went and it claimed 87% efficiency. This is my second batch, so I'm a bit hesitant to start jumping for joy.

It's Beirmunchers Centennial Blonde

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

I gathered 6.5 gallons into the kettle and gravity was 1.043 unless I measured wrong somewhere. I grabbed a sample and let it cool during the boil before taking reading with hydro.

I'm using a rectangular cooler for MLT with 1/2" copper pipe for manifold, drilled along bottom edge. DIY Grain Crusher.

Just seems impossibly high.

I re-read the recipe and I think the numbers must be wrong. The recipe calls for an OG of like 1.040. I must have mistaken the pre-boil number with the fermenter reading. Now I can't remember what the pre-boil reading was!

I estimated the gravity from the mash tun, by taking a reading and guess for adjusting for temp. Then kept the sample to cool.

Drat this inability to take notes! Well at least this time I had good instructions.

Back