Is This Shank Serviceable??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher79

Reaction score
That's what she said!!!! I bought a tower with (2) of these type shanks, and from a very limited info found through some research I am thinking they are an older style of shank. They are both leaking at the grey grommet/seal (at the base of the elbow where it goes into the shank). They only leak when they are twisted a certain way or when pressure is put on the the elbow at a certain angle.

I was wondering if they were serviceable, because the elbow doesn't seem to want to come out of the shank, and the grey grommet/seal doesn't seem to want to pry out. I can't seem to find too much on this style on the interwebs...

image.jpg

i have one on my tower like that if you get it to stop leaking use it you can find replacments at midwest or keg connection

Oh, and to get the tailpiece out of your shank simply push the grey grommet in towards the shank at the same time pull the tailpiece out. Then the grey grommet can be pulled out revealing an o ring.

Oh, and to get the tailpiece out of your shank simply push the grey grommet in towards the shank at the same time pull the tailpiece out. Then the grey grommet can be pulled out revealing an o ring.

Woah! That was too easy!!!! Thanks wickman6...I appreciate the help, and now I don't have to buy a new shank!

I've never seen one of those but my first thought was chinese finger trap.

So, I had two of these taps...I got them disassembled thanks to wickman6, and both O-rings were pretty dry rotted. Are these an older style shank? I'm headed to the LHBS tomorrow for some replacement parts, grain, and a lighter wallet. I can't wait to having two beers on tap, and something tells me it will only grow from there...after all, variety is the spice of life!

Back