is this salvageable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnbee

Reaction score
Hey All! Haven't brewed for a few years, and I have a batch of Altbier (from a kit) going. I may have pitched the yeast slightly too hot, but it did froth and foam; then died down. It's COLD in MN and I wonder if the wort was too chilly??
At any rate, the specific gravity is supposed to be around 1017 and its about 1040.
Can I save this beer at this point, and if so, what should I do?? Does temp affect my gravity reading to that great of a degree?
It TASTES good!
debra

Temp does affect your gravity reading, you want to measure at 60* or hydro adjust your reading to the temp of your sample. (You lose a point once it drops to 53*F, at 65* your SG +1 point, at 72* your up +2)

Get the temp up to @68-70 and rouse the yeast (swirl gently) and leave it for a day at least to see if they pick up activity. If not, pitch fresh yeast or if your really confident in your sanitation, rack it to a fresh carboy and pitch fresh yeast.

Personally, I would opt to just add a pack of dry and see how it goes and move it to secondary as soon you hit your FG.

G-luck!

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

You don't mention any temps so it's hard to be specific in the answer, but as KENTUCKYBREWER suggested, bring the temperature of the beer up to around 70F to start.

There is lots of yeast in the primary right now so I would hold off on pitching more however. Give the primary a swirl (not shake!) to rouse a bunch of the yeast back into suspension after you get the temperature raised. Then give it at least 3 days and take another gravity reading and see if the SG has dropped.

+1 on Bradsul's advice...I'm not a fan of repitching yeast unless I've done everything to rouse the yeast I already have. Most of the time, raising the ambient temp and rousing works fine...wheter in the fermenter or the bottle.

At 1.040 it is far from done. There is an issue somewhere. My guess is your fermentation room is too cold for the yeast. What is the ambient temp and what yeast did you use?

The glass feels cool to the touch. I'm not sure what we're reading as far as temp - probably 60 something in the house but drafty.
Any way to "finish" it? I'm going to have to do something soon - it's been sitting a week now...
thanks!

Go to your LHBS and get a stick on thermometer for your fermenter and find out the actual temperature. Alternatively you can go to a pet store with aquarium stuff, they should have them too.

You need to get the temperature up in order to re-activate the yeast if you're in the low 60's. But the first step is knowing what the temperature is so that you don't over or under shoot.

After putting the carboy on a chair by the radiator, today the specific gravity was very close to the 'official' recommendation. I siphoned the wort into my bottling system, pitched in the priming sugar, and kegged it. LOTS of head and tastes good - we'll see how it comes out. I really think it's been just too cool for it. Better save our beermaking for summer!
thanks, everyone!
debra

You should make a lager! Lager yeast thrive in temperatures between 50° and 60° F.

Do a little searching on the forum, or read up on making lagers in your favorite brew book.

Back