Is this safe to use as a sanitizer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-TH-

Reaction score
I've seen a few on here say they buy iodine solutions at farm supply store. My local Tractor Supply Co sells this exact product:

Gentle Iodine Wound Spray (Priority Care) - QC Supply

How can I be sure it is safe???

Here's the MSDS from Company website:
http://www.prioritycare.com/MSDS/MSDS GentleIodine1-Rev2.pdf

and Product data sheet:
http://www.prioritycare.com/Techsheet/GntlIdnWndSpry.pdf

EDIT: Please read my latest findings here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/safe-use-sanitizer-87360/index2.html#post1790743
(Link to post #14)

well the active ingredient is 1% titratable iodine ...that is good.

however the inactive ingredients could post problems for brewing...namely off flavors...possible poisoning, etc.

depending on the inactive ingredients it may or may not be usable.

Yep that's the bulk iodine that I have used, and several others on here before me recomennded it...

I warn you, it doesn't have the antifoaming agent that iodophor must have, it foams up almost like starsan...so add it TO THE WATER rather than adding it in your container then putting water in after...it will make a lot of foam...OR you could do like I have done and added a couple drops of fermcap to it...

You have to be kidding me, I passed this up because of the inactive ingredient. I wasn't sure what it would do. Instead I paid the same price for a fraction of idophor.

Yep that's the bulk iodine that I have used, and several others on here before me recomennded it...

I warn you, it doesn't have the antifoaming agent that iodophor must have, it foams up almost like starsan...so add it TO THE WATER rather than adding it in your container then putting water in after...it will make a lot of foam...OR you could do like I have done and added a couple drops of fermcap to it...

Are you sure the inactive ingredients are harmless? I'm still a little leary.

Are you sure the inactive ingredients are harmless? I'm still a little leary.

Well, Like I said, I wasn't the first on here to use it...Yooper and several others with FAR more years brewing than me use it.

It's used in the dairy industry as a sanitizer...meaning it sanitizes the milking equipment and the vats...So I figure if it's being used for the milk I'm drinking then it's ok for the beer as well.

There are a few sanitization threads that people walk about it on here...DO a "search for Posts" for Dairy Sanitizer.

Well, Like I said, I wasn't the first on here to use it...Yooper and several others with FAR more years brewing than me use it.

It's used in the dairy industry as a sanitizer...meaning it sanitizes the milking equipment and the vats...So I figure if it's being used for the milk I'm drinking then it's ok for the beer as well.

There are a few sanitization threads that people walk about it on here...DO a "search for Posts" for Dairy Sanitizer.

Thanks Revvy. I did read alot of those posts already but I searched again as you suggested. Still only see that you and a few others are using it "without problems" but that's all. I hate to be a pest, but do you KNOW that the inactive ingredients safe? Below is the label from what is sold at my TSC. There's no mention that it is used for sanitizing milking equipment, only that it is a wound disinfectant. I get a little nervous when I see words like: "for external animal use only" and "teats and udders should be thoroughly washed before the next milking to prevent contamination of milk". Unfortunately the product data sheet and MSDS do not mention any ingredients other than 1% iodine.

label.jpg

Being that is the only ingredient listed on the MSDS is probably the best indicator that it's safe. The MSDS has to include any substance that is considered harmful.

http://www.prioritycare.com/MSDS/MSDS GentleIodine1-Rev2.pdf

Yep....same with Iodophor....or with tincture of iodine that some of the brewer's use from the drug store...

I only see that it has 1% iodine in it...I don't see on the label or in the MDS that it contains any other product OTHER than that...

Sheep, it's your choice in the matter...

If you wanna worry...look at the warnings on a bottle of starsan, or Chlorine bleach used in sanitizing as well...

Oh I'm not going to worry, soon as my little expensive bottle of Iodophor is gone I'm going to TSC and get me a big ole bottle for the same price!

Just an update to this thread...

I had been using the tractor supply iodine disinfectant as a sanitizer for my first 14 batches. Every single one of them had an off flavor that I tried everything I could think of to eliminate. I changed every piece of equipment, tried different yeasts, temps, ingredients, switched to AG, etc. All to no avail. It finally dawned on me one day that the one thing that I hadn't changed was the sanitizer. So I bought a bottle of Starsan and used it for bottling batch #15. Turned out awesome. Batches 16, 17, & 18 were all excellent and free of the off flavor as well. I know that some here have used tractor supply iodine with success, but I won't ever use it again. I had double and triple checked my concentrations too so I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

I just thought I would post my findings in case anyone else is having a similar issue.

Back