is this possible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwmiscik

Reaction score
I brewed a black ipa on saturday (the recipe is below) and it went from an OG of 1.080 to 1.020 in two days i pitched a liter and a half starter and i accidentally pitched when the temp was like 80 degrees im just wondering if I really undershot my OG or if its actually possible to get those gravity readings in two days. The only hicup on the brew day was i doughed in and my ball valve was open but I only about a quart went through the grain bed and out and im pretty sure that doesnt really make a difference. Any insight would be appreciated.

type: all grain
batch size: 5.5g
boil size: 6.75g
boil time: 60 min

ingredients:
16#pale malt
1# carafa III
1# crystal (60L)

3.00 oz magnum (14%AA)(60 min)
2 oz amarillo (8.5%AA) (3min)
.5 oz centennial (8.8 AA) (flameout)
2 oz centennial (dry hop)
2 oz amarillo (dry hop)

yeast: white labs california ale

est OG: 1.080
est FG: 1.019
ABV:8.01%
bitterness: 112.3 IBU

mash at 151 for 60 minutes

I would imagine pitching a starter into 80° wort, the fermentation took off almost instantly, this would produce more heat which would cause the yeast to ferment even faster. A 2 day ferment is possible under these conditions, but will likely result in off flavors from the high temps. Let that beer sit on the yeast for a few more weeks to clean up after its hot sweaty fermentation.

Yeah I was planning on giving it a long time on the yeast but the crazy thing is I put a blow off tube on it never saw any bubbles which is wierd but i had opened to check on it and had a nice thick layer of krausen on the top. As far as the temp goes I pitched it that high but got the temp down to 68 within a few hours so I dont think it should be tooooooooo bad. (I hope)

Back