Is this okay, or moldy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pghsteve

Reaction score
Help...
I've had this IPA in secondary for probably 3 months. It has looked the same for the last 6 weeks or so....so this isn't new. But I can't tell if these are harmless bubbles or if this is a white mold on top. Theres really only the one little spot closest to the camera that concerns me b/c it looks more white/solid....but it could just be a thick heavy bubble....

If it is a little mold, and it's just floating on top, if I rack it to the bottling bucket and leave the top inch or so -- will it be okay? I don't want to get sick off beer - but I don't want to waste 5 gallons of my first IPA over something stupid.
SJR_1014.JPG
Help!

It doesn't look good, but I can't really tell from the photo. I will say that a huge headspace like that is asking for trouble, and that is probably the cause.

You won't get sick from it, but if it is infected the infection may get worse in the bottle so be alert for gushers and/or bottle bombs if it gets overcarbed. If it tastes ok, drink it!

Thanks, I appreciate the advice... I'm pretty comfortable going with that. I'll bottle it and see how it tastes.
I need a bigger brew pot apparently to fill my Carboys better. I have a 5.5, a 6, and a 6.5. I believe me brewpot is 8 gal, but by the time evaporation, trub, etc are accounted for - I'm not having anywhere near enough to fill by 6.5...or even the 6. I'd like to buy a 15 gal pot, but I'm easily sold and want a shiny stainless pot with all the fancy stuff on it -- but can't drop 500 bucks on a pot right now and feel like I'd be disappointed if I went with another aluminum.

So I'm procrastinating. Long story for "yep, I seem to have too much headspace - I think you're right".

Thanks!

That is a lot of headspace in there, but it doesn't look unlike some IPAs I have made in the past. With CO2 off gassing, probably still some yeast in there to cling to and the hop oils that I always get on top, I think you are pretty safe. I have had a couple that have looked just about like that, maybe even a little worse at times, but I have never had one that tasted infected. And I know it would have shown up eventually as most of my beer stays on tap for a couple of months.

Back