Is this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks really odd. Cider does foam plenty but I have never see it grainy like that. Whats in the cider? It looks like you have chopped up ginger in it maybe?

If it was unflitered cider that could be the pulp that has separated out with the C02. The problem with carboys is that you get really nervous watching it all happen.

Isn't this the one with lots and lots of sugar? Wonder if the sugar is coming out of solution and getting floated by the CO2? Take a small sample out and see if it's grainy.

Yeah its the same one. I talked with the guy at the homebrew store and he figures its ok as long as the gravity is dropping. The airlock is going alittle faster now 1 every 8secs so im going to let it keep doing its thing and check the gravity sunday when im planning to bottle a batch of beer.

I have never seen anything like that before its almost like the yeast is separated from the cider and hanging out in the top. As that is what my ciders look like right after pitching only the whole carboy looks like the top portion of yours not just half. Give it a taste and if it seems off I would give some serious thought into tossing the batch.

I would actually dare to say that it looks "better" now than it did.
From my limited experience with ciders, I have seen them behave in a visually odd way.

It does not look infected in the usual way, so I would say let it ride and finish.

Yea ciders can do some weird things, I've got a super thick)krausen on mine(though nothing like that, 2" tops) that I've not seen before but it smells alright and seems to be hanging out like it usually does about this age so I'm letting it do its thing. Might as well let it ride, worse thing it is doing is taking up space at this point.

I checked the gravity today and its 1.150. I tasted the test sample and its very sweet. The airlock is still bubbling slowly still.

Looking at the "progression" over time, it looks like the usual haziness started at the top and worked its way down. In what way did you pitch the yeast? Did you toss it on top of everything or mix it in thoroughly?

Im planing to freeze concentrate it whats a good place to stop it at if i can get it there?

Tht reminds me of something I had with one of my ciders, only that substance sank to the bottom rather than rose to the top.

My guess is pectin but i'm really not sure.

In the first photo it made me think of top fermenting yeast that forms a flor on the surface, like you get in sherry.

It also reminds me of some French technique of fermenting sparkling cider where they ferment it at quite a low temperature and it things float to the top and it retains some sweetness.

Back