Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amity

Reaction score
beer.jpg

It's a Hefeweizen with WLP300, a DME partial boil brew. It had about 1/2 inch krausen on top when I xferred it to secondary, but now it's got a funny white coating on top with bubbles and film. It tastes good, like a hefeweizen should.

Infected or paranoid?

Thanks.

I've seen infection pictures that look similar, but it's hard to tell. If it smells good and tastes better, don't sweat it. If it smells funny, rack it again, and leave the funky layer (plus a little...just to be safe) behind.

It's been in secondary for about 10 days now. I hope to bottle this weekend.

Hard to say at this point, but I've never racked a beer that still had krausen on top - because that indicates that the yeast is still doing something. I don't necessarily think that's what caused your white film, but just sayin :)

No help to your dilemma but, I really think that by using plastic buckets and waiting I really saved myself a lot of stress by not being able to see the funky ****e that goes on in there.

My first look is always well beyond all the pahses of fermentation.

Back