Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
I brewed a one hop Hazy IPA on Saturday and put it in the Fermzilla that night. I woke up today and it looks like there is just one big trub and yeast cake in the fermenter. I see zero beer. Lol. I pitched Omega DIPA OYL-052 and it took off like a rocket! The smell from the air lock is awesome. Just wondering about all the trub and yeast.

I brewed a one hop Hazy IPA on Saturday and put it in the Fermzilla that night. I woke up today and it looks like there is just one big trub and yeast cake in the fermenter. I see zero beer. Lol. I pitched Omega DIPA OYL-052 and it took off like a rocket! The smell from the air lock is awesome. Just wondering about all the trub and yeast.
Yes, it happens sometimes. Just let it be and it will sort itself out probably. You could gently wiggle the fermenter a bit, it sometimes help.

Is it moving? I have seen in my fermenters occasionally a solid color from top to bottom. It was swirling from the action of the fermentation. Totally normal especially with the amount of hop debris that would be in your IPA.

Actually at looking back to your post and seeing that it has already been 7 days, your fermentation should be finished so there should be no swirling. But with the amount of hops in a hazy IPA it might look like a solid layer of trub. I would give it another 7 or so days or more. Then cold crash to drop the debris before packaging.

The Neipa in my profile pic looked like straight gravy while it was fermenting, especially after the second dry hop addition on day 5. It cleared to a beautiful orange within hours of cold crashing. I used Imperial A38.

Here it is after a 48 hour cold crash

View media item 70528

Back