Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petie

Reaction score
This is a 2 year Centennial. It's already forming cones. Is this normal? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400934357.950289.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400934397.986473.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400934468.099758.jpg

If it didn't matter,it wouldn't matter!

I saw the start of some cones yesterday on my 2nd year Willamette. Im not too sure about the harvest time for Centennial, but I wldnt get too worked up about them! Let them ride and mature out!

It just seemed early in the year. Not that I'm complaining.

If it didn't matter,it wouldn't matter!

I have questions and concerns about that as well, I have full grown cones all over my Chinook Cascade and Centennial. I live in Georgia this is my second year growth and it seems really early compared to last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

::bump::
I will try to post pictures later tonight, but this seems kinda crazy.
I have a ton of hops on the vine from my second year plants; I mean a ton. And they're already larger in size than most of the ones I harvested at end of season last year.
I'm growing Chinook, and Cascade. I do have 2 Cent mounds, but they're not really going all that well. I liev in GA, an was wondering if the super cold winter we had, followed by the heat and rain has been throwing them off schedule or something.

Is this a bad thing or a good thing?

I actually got on HBT today to search this topic. I live in Northern Arkansas (almost on the Arkansas/Missouri line) and I have nearly fully grown cones on my 2nd year Centennials and my Columbus. They even have little lupulin glands already. They are maturing much earlier this year than last year! This just seems to be the trend for southern states this year. Here are some pics of my hops and my hop arbor.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401407771.869303.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401407790.438324.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401407828.705509.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm with you guys and not complaining. My hop cones are huge on my 4 yr old plants. If my tomatoes come early they get eaten early. If my hops start to dry early I make beer early. Easyeasy

Two years ago I harvested cascade the second week in June! To petie it might be because they are growing horizontal, looks a little immature for cone to me. Been a weird year though.....

I have huge chinook cones on my third year plant. Much earlier than last year. Multiple harvests are not a bad thing or so I am told.

I think that's going to be my experience as well. I've got to figure out how to harvest and store some unil enough comes in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Well here's the results.
I picked, weighed, cut em up and tossed em in the boil kettle (and some in the mash), all in one evening. It was a long day/night, but was fun.
7.5oz Cascade
7.5oz Chinook
6oz Centennial

20140612_230934.jpg

20140613_000823.jpg

So, about 4 ounces dry. Sounds about right.

Wait - "cut em up"?

Cheers!

Yes, I cut them up a little bit to open the cones up and make sure all that yellow powdery goodness gets out.
I've read about this for dry hopping with whole cone, and figured why not in the boil. I'll be trying this when I dry hop in the keg with some wet hops this afternoon, so if you know a reason not to do this, please let me know.

Yes, I cut them up a little bit to open the cones up and make sure all that yellow powdery goodness gets out.

I've read about this for dry hopping with whole cone, and figured why not in the boil. I'll be trying this when I dry hop in the keg with some wet hops this afternoon, so if you know a reason not to do this, please let me know.

By cutting them open, you'll allow for oxidation to occur at a much more rapid pace. Oxidation is not your friend, so I would not recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

By cutting them open, you'll allow for oxidation to occur at a much more rapid pace. Oxidation is not your friend, so I would not recommend it.

I gathered the cutting occurred shortly before the brewing. I doubt a day or less would make any difference at all.

That said, I doubt cutting up cones makes any difference, either...

Cheers!

Back