Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastwood44mag

Reaction score
Sampled my beer after it had been bottled a couple weeks--fantastic: complex, palatable, slight hints of fruit.

2 months later: Dry as toast, bitter, tastes rather awful.

Any ideas what I should do? The recent bottles have been refrigerated for some time. I don't know if that changes anything or not.

Thanks.

Sounds to me like the serving temp changed. Try letting it warm up to 55 -56 degrees F and then try it. The full flavors will emerge and it won't seem dry or bitter.

I'd agree. Most homebrews are much better at cellar temps. Ciders seem to go the other way, the colder the sweeter.

could just be the cycle of the beer. i find that my homebrews go through periods of greatness followed by them being wierd tasting, then they'll be good again...or maybe im just crazy. servin temp also can have alot to do with what you taste though.

eastwood44mag said:
Sampled my beer after it had been bottled a couple weeks--fantastic: complex, palatable, slight hints of fruit.

2 months later: Dry as toast, bitter, tastes rather awful.

Any ideas what I should do? The recent bottles have been refrigerated for some time. I don't know if that changes anything or not.

Thanks.

was this only 1 or 2 bottles that was that way i have had this problem with a batch of cherry wheat beer i made.
(let it stand for 6 months and man good taste)
did the beer see a large temp change if this happen could be the cause or if you had a bad seal on bottle. thats why i asked if 1 or 2 bottles only.

room temp is better tasteing beer for most home brews.....i only chill the beer i keg. and thats 45 to 50 deg only. :drunk:

I don't really have an answer to this, but it seems like my beers also go through periods of greatness, and then not-so-greatness, back to good, better, and then really good, sometimes followed by any combination of this. I think temperature does play a role, but I haven't been brewing long, so it could be my bottling techniques, or something I haven't figured out yet.

Well, it's not as good as after week 1, but definite improvement. I'm guessing it's at 60 degrees now. Not terribly complex, but definitely palatable.

Thanks, all.

Weird...my brews tend to rise to their peak of greatness and then begin a slow descent into less and less pronounced hoppiness (that's bad).

Honestly, I'd drink it...contrary to what others have suggested, I usually don't see a beer get better after getting worse. Beer is a fresh product. Mead definitely gets better after it gets worse, as does cider, but not, in my experience, beer.

Cheers! :D

Back