is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
So I literally just finished my first all grain brew and was wondering if it was normal to get 84% eff on my first batch doing the hybrid fly sparge tech in the wiki. My og was 1054 and I did the northernbrewer sierra madre kit with a preboil of 6.5 and post boil of 6 (I boiled off way less than I thought I would I was shooting for 5.5 after loss to trub and cooling) grain bill was 10# rahr 2 row and .75# caramel 60 anyway I ended up with 6 gallons of wort at 1054 which by my calc using beersmith gave me 84% eff is this rare? Using a mani in the bottom of my igloo cube cooler, also finished everything with cleanup in 4 hrs 10 minutes mashed at 154 used a mashout step for 10 min. All in all went smooth I know I def missed my mashout temp as my therm wire got wet somehow????? And only took like prolly 20 min for my fly sparge, tin foil floatie saved my ass fo sho! Let me know guys sorry so long!

Oh yah one last thought it wasn't as scary as I thought it was gonna be....gotta just jump in and dip your wick in the water so to speak

Well done. :mug: I don't know if it's "normal" to get 84% but I don't see why not; I know in my caseI was paying attention to every little thing my first AG and it was all good. AG as long as you're hitting your numbers and double checking what you're doing is pretty straightforward. Again :mug:

Thanks man I was paying attention but not like my first batch of extract, I basically said going in that ill take what I can get and am happy to just do some 12 ounce curls and ewnjoy the boil and learn what I can? Turned out way better than I thought, I had three pounds of dme on hand let's just say that....

Oh god, 84%? That's not normal at all. You're in big trouble my friend. If you get anything over 75% on your first AG batch, you've definitely screwed up big time. Consequences will never be the same...

Just kidding..."normal" means nothing. You got what you got, and there's no law that says your efficiency should suck with your first AG brew.

Ok well that makes sense I guess you just end up reading more horror than success stories (assuming mine turns out a success) about people first ag batches and hitting their numbers. Ok well now back to doating over my fermentor like its my first batch ever......

Yah it was a lot of fun definately more hands on and only really took me an extra 30 min including cleanup than doing partial mash recipes

Well at least until you change something, like making a big beer where you don't have as much sparge water, or use a lot of hops so you lose a lot more in the boil kettle, or get a bad crush, or ... well you get the idea. I struggle with consistency, but each time I think I learn something.

Back