Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Suddy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am brewing my first batch using a true brew red ale kit. I followed the instructions to a t. I pitched the yeast (non re-hydrated) at 78 degrees. I had a lot of activity within 6 hours and lasting for about 36 hours. This morn the activity had stopped and I had very little foam on the mixture. I can see a yeast ring on the side of the bucket as well. I have yet to take a gravity reading (but will do so when I get home tonight).

Is the active fermentation typically done in 36 hours?

Thanks!

Suddy

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
All is good. It went to plan. The yeast is still busy, just less so. :)

Edit: Don't take a reading for a couple of weeks. You would be making an uneccessary opportunity to infect it.

OP
Suddy

Suddy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was going to transfer it to my secondary in 10 days so I can start the next batch. Are there any foreseeable issues with transferring it at that time frame?

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was going to transfer it to my secondary in 10 days so I can start the next batch. Are there any foreseeable issues with transferring it at that time frame?
If you are doing a secondary, then 10 days is good. You can also take that opportunity to take that hydro reading.

OP
Suddy

Suddy

Reaction score
Thanks Budz! I will take the hydro reading before the transfer. My Primary has a spigot for bottling so I will check it from there to prevent infection of the batch.

Suddy

Gremlyn

Reaction score
That's the same kit I just bottled :) My fermentation was also very quick (I pitched about 78 too), it peaked probably about 36 hours and was done visibly doing anything by 48 hours. My FG was a little high, 1.020 instead of their target 1.014, but my sample of the flat and unaged beer was pretty positive. I waited 15 days total before going to bottle, probably could have been a little longer, but I'm impatient for the first one ;) We'll have to compare notes on how they come out!

OP
Suddy

Suddy

Reaction score
Gremlyn,

The ale smells like it is on track from the wiffs out of the airlock (and smell of my kitchen, the wife loves that). I am also pretty impatient to get this brew in a bottle! I am going to go pick up some local microbrew Double IPA to ease my impatience :drunk:

I am kinda pissed that I forgot to take a OG reading (due to a broken hydrometer for my brew store). So I wont know what I am working with in my gravity readings. We will definitely have to compare notes on the final results. When are you going to crack open the first brew? :mug:

Gremlyn

Reaction score
I just got it into the piggies, so I'll let it go 2-3 weeks on the carbonation/aging.

Mine smelled good from the airlock too... everyday I would come home and give the lid a little push to release yummy smells ;)

As for the wife... she had a terrible head cold the day I brewed so she couldn't smell a thing! Told her it didn't smell at all :D

Gremlyn

Reaction score
Took a semi-carbonated taste last night. It seems to be coming along nicely :D