is this normal? seems like it to me. opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobyone

Reaction score
so this past weekend I brewed a canned extract kits (muntons wheat beer). this by all accounts should be my last canned extract kit before I move to bigger and badder partial mash or all grain.
Saturday I brewed as directed but instead of just adding the 2.2 lbs. of dextrose I also added a pound of light DME I had left over from a previous brew. I figured no big deal. My starting gravity was 1.060, higher than the recommended 1.040-1.044. So instead of just pitching the 7.oz of dry yeast that came with the kit I re-hydrated it and added another 7 oz. of yeast along with it. Added the re-hydrated yeast about 4:00 p.m.
Fast forward to Sunday morning. I woke up about 6 a.m. to let the dogs out and thought I would check on it to see it there was any action in the air lock. Sure enough there was. Not much but a bubble about every 5-6 seconds.
Fast forward to 11:00 a.m. I get back from the grocery store and check again. Holy crap there was some serious action going on. Krausen was bubbling up through the air lock now. I got worried that there may be a problem because I didn't have a blow off tube to attach to it so i figured that I would just keep an eye on it and say a prayer that it didn't blow!
Fast forward to this morning. everything seems good. not near the action there was yesterday. The air lock is still active, a bubble about every 1-2 seconds but nothing coming out of the air lock. Seems to have slowed significantly. Now after all that here's the question, Is that normal? I mean it seems to me that it is because the other kits I have done have shown activity quickly and air lock activity has stopped after a day or two but none of them have had a starting gravity that high. Thanks for any input.

Its all about the temperature and the yeast you use. Every fermetation is different if you dont use the exact same process, ingredients and temperatures. Nothing surprising about you experience.

I used a kit one time and woke up with the airlock on the floor and krausen coming out the bottle of a 7.5 gallon bucket. It was a normal gravity beer with dry yeast. But for so reason this time decided to go crazy.

Moral of the story = Best beer I have made to date.

Nothing is normal. Gauge each fermentaton for itself, not compared to the last one. Keep your temps under control and regardless of what you see, you'll have good fermentaton.

Dude... DME is just a different type of sugar... yeast eat sugar... higher gravity basically means more density (more sugar in the liquid)... so that's why you saw more activity...

PM and all-grain brewing differs from extract in that you are the one EXTRACTING the sugar from barley (or wheat or whatever you are using)...

As far as airlock bubbles, are you controlling your temperature?

So you pitched 14 oz of dry yeast?

I am thinking 14 grams of yeast and you probably could have gotten away with just one packet although Mr Malty recommends about 12 grams of dry so you did good!

Back