Is this normal loss of CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello

Reaction score
At 5:30 EST yesterday I racked my room temp beer into a keg, purged it with CO2 a few times by turning the gas to 20 PSI, letting it fill, turning it off, releasing the pressure, and doing that 3 more times.

I turned the regulator up to 25 PSI, I left the bonnet (red part) open, and the manifold was left open over night. The keg was in the fridge since that time.

I realize that I should have let the keg cool first, but that wasn't something I knew beforehand.

This morning I looked at my gauge and I see that the needle moved a lot. It was sitting right at the green line and this is a brand new CO2 tank filled by my LHBS yesterday. Is this a normal amount of loss?

I used a wrench to tighten the regulator at the cylindar which had a nylon washer in it. I also tightened the other "nuts" on the gas line and the manifold. I only have one keg hooked up right now.

I sprayed all over the place with starsan thinking that would show leaks. My keg held pressure fine, it was shipped under pressure as well. O-rings are new, there is no hissing (there was before) indicating gas is coming out, and I think that covers it.

Here's a pic.
IMG_6586.jpg

geoff may have the answer right there. I freaked out the first time i stuck a full cylinder in my keezer thinking my tank had leaked as well. I was told "if the tank is full, don't pay attention the gauge until its almost reading empty"

geoff may have the answer right there. I freaked out the first time i stuck a full cylinder in my keezer thinking my tank had leaked as well. I was told "if the tank is full, don't pay attention the gauge until its almost reading empty"

I was told the same thing. Then I checked back the next day and the tank was empty :(.

Moral: If you are sure there are no leaks, ignore the high pressure gauge :ban:

Yikes, yeah that's no fun. I guess just keep an eye on it, making sure it's not getting lower by the hour

Yikes, yeah that's no fun. I guess just keep an eye on it, making sure it's not getting lower by the hour
So you think is there is a problem?
Was the tank in the fridge? If so, have a look at this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/co2-fridge-pressure-drops-297543/

And regarding the high pressure gauge:

Thank you for that link! Just when I thought I could not read anything else to be more prepared, there is that link. That makes a lot of sense and given my guesstimation of the tank, it is still rather full.

Optimistically, I'm going to say that if I believe I have no leaks then this is all about the gauge being wrong due to the CO2 being in the fridge. :) I'm more of the type of letting myself ignore the potential of a problem until something leaks, explodes, or runs away. :D

Thank you. :)

you could always weigh the tank too. It should say the empty weight on the side, which i believe is around 7 odd lbs.

Right after I got my kegerator, I got the CO2 tank filled, kegged & carbed my first batch, and after I had put the CO2 tank in the fridge, freaked :smack: because the high pressure guage dropped so much.. was sure I had a leak. Then Yooper set me straight. You just need to weigh your CO2 tank to see how you're tracking. I'm hoping to get a spare, just so I never need to stress about running it dry.

You're all right. It hasn't moved at all during the day. I imagine if I had just stuck it in the fridge off, the needle would have moved. I probably would have still questioned it but that's another story.

Beer is carbing just fine. I'm about to rack another to a new keg, chill it THEN carbonate it. :)

Geoff helped me with the exact situation last week. First time kegging, put a room temp CO2 tank in the fridge, was certain I had a leak I could not find because the high side gauge was dropping so much. Next morning had leveled out, all was well. So much to learn......

I regret to say that this is a common question and I didn't even bother to search for an answer. :eek: I figured at the very least, I would stop asking questions in the drunkie thread and actually do it right. haha

At least no one blasted me for my total stupidity.

I didn't try to search at all actually. I'm very good usually with searches and never use the HBT site to search. I use google and specify the site. It's good. Thanks for the help!

Looks like I had a gas leak with the 2nd keg that I was just carbonating at 12 PSI and I think (well know) I had a beer leak on the 1st keg. Not sure why, but I have a small loss of beer, no gas, and it seems the fittings from the gas line to the 2nd keg were super loose. I was sure I tightened them but obviously not. The needle is sitting on the peg and I can once again lift the canister with a single finger.

Back