Is this normal?- Airlocking bubbling again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggourde

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So for about 2 days there have been no visible activity from the airlock after it had a good amount of bubbling for several days, so I decided it would be a good time to transfer it to my secondary.

I set the primary bucket on a table, moving it as little as possible, and without removing the lid or airlock to prepare for siphoning. I left the room to sanitize my equipment and upon my return, the airlock started bubbling again. It's been over 36 hours and its still bubbling at a constant pace.

Did I just wake up the yeast, or did bacteria somehow get in?

What's the gravity per your hydrometer? Cannot tell just based on airlock activity what happened. Likely just roused yeast.

You should take 2 gravity readings, one 2 days after the first, if they are the same you should then transfer and not before.

As to the bubbles if you are at final gravity, which you will need to determine with a hydrometer, it is probably bubbling from co2 coming out of suspension.

You probably roused ther yeast and/or the temp of your carboy is heating up a bit releasing c02 out of solution (it releases more when it warms up). How long has it been in primary? If it's been about 2 weeks and it's a lower gravity beer you are probably fine

RDWHAHB :)

Another possiblity for 'renewed bubbling' although not as likely in this case is a change in the weather. If the beer has been in a high preasure zone and a low moves in, then it can out gas like this. But I'm with Hopper5000 here, it is probably roused yeast or heated up a bit. Probably nothing to worry about.

Airlock bubbling can be from a lot of different things. All it means is that the pressure inside the fermenter is higher than outside. A temp rise could do it. lower air pressure from a storm coming in could do it.

Here is a great video showing just that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back