Is this my first infection (with pics!)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenners

Reaction score
Been brewing for almost a year, still consider myself a noob. I've been keeping things clean/sanitised as much as possible, but this looks like I might need to give this bucket a right good soak & scrub... :-/

Opened up my Belgian Golden Ale (with syrup addition) that's been fermenting for three weeks in a bucket with the aim of moving it to a secondary. Saw this... Doesn't look like the usual yeast floaters...

IMG_2160.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

Infection?

They look like yeast mats. Looks like they're bowed up a little bit from CO2 saturation. I think it's fine, you can remove them with a sanitized slotted spoon.

Waaay bigger than the yeast mats I'm used to. No sour smell etc as far as I can tell, though my stomach turned when I saw 'em - the beer actually smells sweet (as I'd expect) looks good...

I did just remember that this was relatively high OG for me (1.060) & I'd doublepitched the yeast, so maybe it was working more than I'm used to?

Thanks for the reassurances that it's likely just yeast, makes me feel better.

Waaay bigger than the yeast mats I'm used to. No sour smell etc as far as I can tell, though my stomach turned when I saw 'em - the beer actually smells sweet (as I'd expect) looks good...

Trust your nose, try a taste. They are tan, a nice yeasty color. We could be wrong though and the only other way to tell it by sampling. I

They're yeast floaters,nothing more. The double pitch might've had them settling quicker,started to compact,then got pulled loose bt co2 in solution.

Back