Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copal_1

Reaction score
I have not been able to find an image like this on the site so I thought I would get some opinions. Does anyone think this is some type of mold creeping up the inside carboy? All the white spots are above the beer line. It's been in the secondary for about four weeks. Thanks for the help.
-Stephen

photo.jpg

secondary for 4 weeks, what type of beer is it?
It doesn't really look like mold. Leftover yeast clumpies maybe? How long did you have it in primary.

Kind of looks like hydrated yeast to me, however this is secondary so I don't know. It's not in contact with the beer and the beer has been in the secondary for awhile so I would just let it go. Bottle it and test it out, or try it flat before you proceed. I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks for the replies. The beer is a "winter ale" recipe from my local homebrew store. It was in the primary for ten days. The white spots showed up about three weeks into the secondary fermentation. I plan on trying it out soon, but was wondering if anyone had personally seen something like this. I thought it might be sanitize solution but that would have probably shown up a little sooner. Thanks for the help!

If you look carefully, the 'mold' has a straight line to it, which looks like it would line up with the beer if the carboy was tilted.

I suspect what you are seeing is some yeast that has dried out on the side of the glass, and got there when you first put the carboy down. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Back