Is this Mold or Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmulerulz

Reaction score
This Northern Brown Ale has been in the bucket for 23 days. I was going to bottle in a few days so I went to take a quick gravity check since I moved it out of the basement to warm up and gain a few points. Well I popped the lid and found this. :confused:

After reading a post on here about the lid/gasket of buckets possibly harboring mold I decided to check the lids of my two empty buckets and I found some junk on the gaskets of both of them. So I took the gasket out of the lid of this weekend's beer and cleaned it real good and sanitized it. I know the best thing I can and should do is replace my buckets but can someone please verify this is mold so I can rack from underneath it and hope the beer turns out.

Dan's_Brew.jpg

I did a poor job of describing why I am considering this as having a problem. There is a dull dusty looking film over everything including the the CO2 bubbles and spread all over the top of the beer. This is why I am concerned I have done 25 batches and only on my last couple have I noticed this dusty matte sheen. The flash in the photo brightened up everything so it is hard to see but it is there. I guess the best thing to do now is just wait a couple of more days and look again and see if there are any more changes. Heck I might even open it up and it be clear and ready to bottle (got to think positive in this hobby).

Back