Is this mold in my Imperial Yeast packet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhagey90

Reaction score
I just dumped a packet of imperial yeast into my starter/flask. I noticed specks of black that looked like pepper. Looking in the bottom of the yeast packet I saw more of it at the bottom. I pored in some water to try and get it out which I took a picture of on the plate. Is this mold or do they have yeast nutrient that looks like this? I hope it’s not mold because this cost like 22 dollars with shipping and I just used almost the rest of my dme.

Attachments

• A7616584-E1CC-4B5B-BA20-697FA159DB7C.jpeg
    A7616584-E1CC-4B5B-BA20-697FA159DB7C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • 5F5A3B2E-BD2C-45C3-8AC9-49A668092BEB.jpeg
    5F5A3B2E-BD2C-45C3-8AC9-49A668092BEB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
It doesn't really look like mold, but it's hard to say. I would contact Imperial about it.

What type/strain? I love Imperial, have used many strains of ale & yeast- and i have never seen that before.
Who did you order from? They may also help

I did have similar kind of dark crystals with my San Diego Super yeast packet last year. I dumped them in a starter and used the yeast without any problem. Actually I think I'm in 5th or 6th generation now with that yeast. I have no idea what those crystals were but everything has been normal

I did have similar kind of dark crystals with my San Diego Super yeast packet last year. I dumped them in a starter and used the yeast without any problem. Actually I think I'm in 5th or 6th generation now with that yeast. I have no idea what those crystals were but everything has been normal
That’s reassuring thanks. Was hoping I didn’t waste everything.

You're probably OK with that yeast but maybe Imperial can clarify the case. I was also wondering what those crystals were when I opened my packet and my thought was that it's probably some "dead yeast". I don't know if dead yeast exist in those packets but that is how I calmed myself when I was puzzled and bit worried :)

Back