Is this mead recipe going to work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigbrew

Reaction score
So my wife and I love Mojitos and I thought I would make a Mojito mead

I used

3 3/8 lbs clover honey
4 limes (used every thing)
hand full of raisins
about 20 large mint leaves (chopped)
water
bread yeast

I kind of based it on J.A.O.M.
I made a 1 gal batch.

Do you think it will turn out. I'm looking for some thing that has a little lime and mint taste. I might carb this.

Thanks
Craigbrew

So a little up date. I have the this fermenting right next to JAOM that I made the same day. The JAOM is clearing nicely but the Mojito mead is still very cloudy. Does any one know what I could do to clear it up? Or should I just wait until I'm closer to bottling?

Sounds like a great recipe. There are all sorts of things you can do to clarify your mead, from the sounds of this one I'd say bentonite would do it, but I wouldn't recommend it. The best clarifier is time. It will probably take quite some time for that to clarify, I have used various herbs in meads before and the oils take time to clarify, but if you let it do it slowly more of the flavour is pulled out and into the mead. You clarify it to quick and you will likely lose a lot of the mint flavour you are hoping to get. Just leave it be and don't bottle it until you can read a newspaper through the mead, that's my advice.

This is such an interesting recipe I'd love to post it over on my mead site, would that be ok?

Sounds tasty! I would also have to second that mint has a lot of oil in it. Give it more time to clear. You might want to rack it when it has cleared a bit to get it off that bread yeast. Bread yeast is tiny compared to most brewing yeast and it is easy to disturb it and cloud back up your mead.

I love Kuhnhens! I wish I still lived near by or worked at the tech center like I used to. For now I have Ashley's where I can get the 4th Dementia Ale.

Cuallaidh, go ahead and post on the mead site.

Lightinginabottle, That's what I was thinking also.

Thanks for the info and I will post again when I transfer.

Brew on
Craigbrew

I'd just follow the instructions for JAO and leave it, as it will probably clear on it's own.

Maybe you have somewhere cool to let it sit and then check back in 6 months or so......

So the day that I made this recipe I also made JAOM. I have been checking on both and the JAOM is clear and this one is not. One day I went down to see if the fruit had dropped, nope still floating. Next day I go down and all fruit dropped in both batches.

Should I rack this one and bottle the JAOM?

Another update. I have left both the JAOM and Mojito mead alone and now the Mojito mead is starting to clear. I am having a hard time waiting on these meads. I will be bottling soon.

Craigbrew,

Hey I think we've met a few times, I am Tony Moceri's brother-in-law.

Your recipe looks really good but I wanted to add a few words of advice...

You mentioned in your first post that you might carb this. I am not sure you are going to be able to do this. The OG of this is pretty high and I am not sure bread yeast has the ability to ferment this one out. If there is any residual sugar left and you carb it in bottles you run the risk of having bottle bombs. Now if you keg and then fill bottles from there, then that is a whole different story.

Last, I completely understand the difficultly waiting on mead but I implore you to hold off as long as you can. Your patience will be greatly rewarded. I made a traditional mead a year ago that was a completely different beverage with 10 months of age on it. I learned the hard way that patience is a virtue when it comes to mead.

Fathand, Yes I know that Tony M. guy.

He just told me over the summer that you brew. How long have you been brewing? Do you belong to any clubs? I made JAOM last year and I tasted it every once in awhile and it was the best after a year and I got an HM in the mich beer cup.

I've been brewing for about 10 years. Still haven't made the jump yet to all grain but hoping to in the new year.

I am not in any clubs but have always been interested in checking the Kuhnhenn one out.

That is awesome about the HM. I have a batch of JAOM going right now that I am anxious to try.

yes good recipe, if raisins had yeast on them you get a wild yeast hybrid, yes you do... and good mojito mix, I just added a chitosan fining agent to meads that I had stagnent for two months as I have no faith for sulfites in my nectar, am still unsure of the results as I dont want to give bottles away to people that are allergic to shellfish (chitosan agent) but yes again good mix, btw where did you find that recipe?

Krud, this is just some thing I came up with based off of JAOM. I have not tasted it yet but if it doesn't have the mojito taste that I'm looking for I might make it again using some lime-aide.

So I tasted this the other day. It is nothing like what I was hoping for. There is no mint taste at all. It has some lime flavor and a lot of pith taste (i think). I was hoping for some sweetness and there is none. I'm going to through some stuff in it and see if I can make it better.

Back