Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
This is a partial mash LME bitter kit from a brew shop that I brewed nearly 4 weeks ago with US-05 yeast. I should've taken the pic before dry hopping. I'm not sure if it's an infection of some sort.

Attachments

• 20191106_080218.jpg
    20191106_080218.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 117
No, most likely not. Just looks like oils and coagulated proteins/floaties to me. Infected batches look a bit more dramatic, a quick Google search on what those look like will probably put you at ease. Only way to be sure is a taste test. Large amounts of off-flavor and/or sourness would point to one.

4 weeks is also fairly long for primary (imo). Have you taken a gravity reading? It should be long done by now as bitters typically don't have that high of an OG. A FG far below expectation might also indicate infection.

Thanks - I just did a reading and its met gravity at around 1.013 (temperature adjusted). So probably OK.

Not always.

Was there a solid film? It's hard to tell by the photo.
If it smells and tastes fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree you should be packaging your beer sooner.

I bottled today, and I didn't notice any solid film on it. Also seemed to taste OK with no strange smells. Next time should I bottle after 2 weeks or something for a low gravity beer like this? OG was 1.038.

I suggest bottling when it finishes fermenting, rather than using a set number of days. Most ales with proper pitching, aeration, and temperature control should finish in around 3-7 days.

Back