Is this illegal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dump all my stuff in the fire pit. This is mostly the yeast I dont harvest. I found out the hard way at my old house (built in the 50s with old pipes) not to dump trub and yeast down the sink. It wasnt fun cleaning those pipes

I've dumped hops in storm sewers...

As long as it isn't toxic and isn't prone to clogging it, I don't see the issue.

Hops can be harmful to dogs. They possibly can be harmful to other wildlife as well.

Take it over to St Paul to dump it

Why stop at St. Paul, just go over to Wisconsin and dump it. Chippewa Falls isn't that far away, is it?

Also reading about how it goes into the Mississippi if you dump it in a storm drain, I'm fine with that, it can drain down to NO and it can be their problem. I have very little sympathy for them after the 09NFCCG. I kind of hope my attitude doesn't change regarding that region because it would take another natural disaster to do it, and nobody wants that.

I know people that fish along the Mississippi, dumping a few gallons of beer in there is just cutting out the middle man.

Wow, usually I'm all "don't pollute", but this whole thread is just ridiculous. Aren't lambics usually brewed with very little hops? There shouldn't be anything in there that would mess with the environment that much.

Hops can be harmful to dogs. They possibly can be harmful to other wildlife as well.

That was why I dumped in there. In the yard mine or someone else's dog could get into them. Same with putting in the garbage and setting it at the curb. With the volume of water in a storm sewer, it would dillute the hops pretty quickly.

Considering the drain tile in my yard is connected to the same as the street, the 8oz of hops are probably far less damaging to the environment than the coolant, oil, gas, fertilizer and other stuff that finds its way into the storm drains from the street.

Back