Is this fermentation? Pics included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrusbt

Reaction score
I'm 36 hours in with zero airlock activity. I know there's a sticky at the top explaining it can take 72 hrs, I know Revvy has a well-written response to those like me who start to freak out a bit at the sign of no airlock activity, but I can't help but worry. First homebrew and realize in hindsight a couple things I should have done differently. Namely, I didn't take measures to oxygenate the wort well - I meant to pour back and forth a few times when transferring to the bucket and simply forgot, and I am concerned about the temperature in hindsight - I should have bought a digital thermometer but I used what came with the turkey fryer and am concerned it was innacurate. There is a good seal on the bucket - the slightest press on the lid and it bubbles easily, so I'd expect to see some activity as the CO2 is expelled. So, I couldn't stand it...I cracked the lid at the risk of infection to take a look. It appears bubbly, looks like pics I see of fermentation (though not as active/robust)....so for those of you with experience, this looks like fermenting, right? And yes...I know the way to know for sure is to take a hydrometer reading in a few days.

CIMG0075.jpg

CIMG0077.jpg

It's good!

And like me you will have to wait a while to RDWHAHB because there is no homebrew yet. Making me thirsty so sometime today I'll have to make a run to the liquor store for some commercial brew. I need more bottles anyway. The keg outfit is a ways in the future still

It's good!

And like me you will have to wait a while to RDWHAHB because there is no homebrew yet. Making me thirsty so sometime today I'll have to make a run to the liquor store for some commercial brew. I need more bottles anyway. The keg outfit is a ways in the future still

Well, this thread gave me relief, and I picked up a new acronym. I'd seen that before, but never looked it up. Yes, no homebrew soon, but in a couple of months, football + homebrew....mmmmmm.

Absolutely. One of the by-products of fermentation is heat.

OP....look at that picture and smile. That's the magical and wonderful process we all work towards!

I never though about it that way! I usually have my beers in a swamp cooler at 60-64 degrees when ambient is 70-75 so it makes perfect sense now why my lids pour off water when I open them up!

And another beginner feels a great sigh of relief with the confirmation that this is wort becoming beer :)

Back